[IELTS Writing Task 2] To accept or try to improve a bad situation?

trvaanh 10 / 20  
Some people believe that it is best to accept a bad situation, such as an unsatisfactory job or shortage of money. Others argue that it is better to try and improve such situations.

Discuss both views.

People have been for years pondering whether it is better to put up with or struggle to find out solutions for problems without reaching any definite conclusion. As far as I am concerned, we should consider the pros and cons of both ways and decide depending on particular situation.

On the one hand, when people face with unsatisfactory situations like losing interests at workplace, they apparently opt for giving up that job. This is often because their working purpose is happiness but not money so they find no need to stay at that company anymore. In reality, sometimes knowing when to stop helps people feel calmer and more prepared for new coming opportunities. Otherwise, they might get even more upset and depressed if a lot of efforts in a second try still fail.

On the other hand, unyielding as modern humans are, finding ways to overcome disappointing conditions is considered to be more effective. Although attempt does not guarantee success, it makes people feel like they have tried their utmost and would not regret rather than doing nothing. They can also learn from mistakes and get experience from this process. People are being forced to think and get out of their comfort zones. For example, Thomas Edison ultimately managed to invent light bulb after more than 1000 times trying. If he had given up just after one or two first attempts, the world we live today would not exist. Moreover, succeeding in difficult tasks after making great efforts gives people sense of accomplishment. That will become a huge motivation for the next chances they come across in the future.

In conclusion, both has its own advantages but I tend to gravitate towards striving to change the situation. Not only does it help people explore their ability but it also enhances problem-solving skills.
You have not properly discussed the given topic. Neither did you properly respond to the task requirements. Look at the following:

OP: Some people believe that it is best to accept a bad situation, such as an unsatisfactory job or shortage of money. Others argue that it is better to try and improve such situations.

YP: People have been for years pondering whether it is better to put up with or struggle to find out solutions for problems without reaching any definite conclusion.

In this instance, your paraphrase of the given topic is incorrect. Next, we should compare the discussion instructions:

OP: Discuss both views.

YP: ... we should consider the pros and cons of both ways and decide depending on particular situation.

The discussion you should have presented, based on the original prompt should have been based on the ideas presented in the essay. Nowhere in the OP were you asked to discuss the pros and cons, nor were you asked to give a personal opinion. When asked to present both views, the body of paragraphs should only use 2 paragraphs representing:

1. Should a person simply accept a bad situation. If yes/no, why?
2. Should a person try to improve a bad situation? If yes, how? If no, why?

The TA score will rely heavily on your English comprehension skills. Fail to understand what the prompt requires of you and you will risk getting a low mark in the test.

Home / Writing Feedback / [IELTS Writing Task 2] To accept or try to improve a bad situation?