Home / Writing Feedback   % width NEW!

Anti-Bullying Informative Paper (Our Brother's Keeper)

queenlyblessed 1 / -  
This is to be a Informative Paper in MLA format. Can someone proof read this? I dont see on the site where to upload documents so hopefully I am doing this correctly.

Thanks

Cynthia Owens
Professor Shelly Kelly
English 102 D03/D07

Our Brother's Keeper

From the stairwell of the home of Phoebe Prince, a horrific suicide of a youthful 15-year-old took place. As a result, the small Massachusetts town of Northampton, brought increasing awareness to the problem of school bullying since her needless death. Phoebe Prince, was a teenager, who recently relocated from Ireland and became a focal point of verbal and physical abuse (MSNBC) in front of students and faculty. Consequently, the unrelenting pressure from the treatment that she suffered at the hands of her peers drove her to hang herself.

I will examine this tragedy by highlighting the issues students face today when it comes to bullying in schools. Most importantly, I will also examine what is bullying, how bullying begins, character profile of a bully and what needs to be done to stop this problem. However, the prevention of bullying is everyone's responsibility and takes everyone's participation to stop an age old problem in order to prevent premature deaths brought about by suicide.

Bullying has been portrayed in movies and sitcoms through the years. From episodes of Leave It To Beaver, Different Strokes to Everybody Hates Chris, bullying has seemed to be a right of passage from childhood to young adulthood. Bullying has ranged from the bully stealing the wimpy boy's lunch money to athletes offering "nerds" notoriety and acceptance for completing their homework. Nevertheless, bullying is wrong and needs to be stopped before more senseless tragedies take place.

Truly, bullying cannot be solely classified as a daily punch in the eye by a peer. In fact, bullying takes on a more in depth definition. For instance, bullying can range from sometimes a single to a wide variety of cruelties. Furthermore, bullying can be classified by physical and emotional abuse. However, due to each effect, both the physical and emotional forms of abuse can be conjoined. Ultimately, bullying can be defined as "To treat abusively and/or to affect by means of force by coercion" (Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary). Due to the fact that bullying is indeed meant to affect another person to do something or feel in a manner that they normally would not, further extends bulling into more definable categories. Some of the more definable categories of bullying has been declared as , "physical abuse, teasing, slander, stealing of another's belongings, isolation and sexual comments" (Dr. Phil). Often times, bullying has a focal point or a reason either valid or imaginary by the person bullying the victim. Namely, teasing, is verbal abuse which involves verbal threats like making fun of a person weight, name calling, ridiculing a persons religion or sexual orientation. Regardless if a person is truly over weight, religious or is straight or gay, is not a significant determining factor and does not necessarily have to be truthful. Whatever a bully decides to torment its victim about is ultimately their means of exploitation.

Chiefly, one could say that bullying is an issue that needs to be addressed. Moreover, it is not solely the physical and emotional aspects that need to be investigated into bullying but to eradicate bullying, researchers and behavioral scientists need to examine what causes bullying. With this in mind, research have performed studies to determine the source of bulling and its cruelties. Research indicates that "bullying behavior can start as early as age 3" (Center For Disease Control). While it's hard to know exactly why some children become bullies and others don't, many researchers suggest that "some children are genetically hardwired or predisposed toward being aggressive". (Center For Disease Control). This hypothesis asserts that children are born violent. On the other hand, many researchers suggest that "bullying is a learned behavior" (McGraw). For instance, "a child might witness abuse at home though siblings or their parents" (Beane, PhD). As a result of viewing repetitive displays of aggression, disregard to others feelings and poor critical thinking methods, many of these children look to physical and emotional exploitation to solve their problems. In addition, researchers also felt that "children may lash out at others as a result of feeling neglected, abandoned or unloved, and or not enough attention paid to them" (Beane, PhD). Hence, partly to blame why some children are bullies lies deeply in their socialized roots at home. Which is where the recognition of the onset of the problem with bullying should begin.

In the same manner that bullying should be first addressed at home, it is also important then that a parent or caregiver of a child recognize the signs of a bully in the making. Often times bullies display certain behaviors that should addressed in order to be corrected. For instance, a bullies distinguishing characteristics include but are not limited to, the dominance or manipulation of others, poor sportsmanship, excited by others conflicts, is an instigator, history of discipline problems, uncontrolled emotions or anger or hostility, impulsive and chronic violent behaviors, abuses or uses drugs and the inability to empathize or sympathize with others (US. Department of Health and Human Services).

If a caregiver recognizes any or all of these traits described in their child, fortunately there is hope. However, early detection and intervention is crucial. This is because research has asserted that "the longer bullying lasts, the harder it is to change. Bullies identified by age 8 are six times more likely to have a criminal conviction by age 24" (US. Department of Health and Human Services). If a caregiver does recognize that their child is a bully, counselors insist that: the child knows that bullying is not acceptable behavior. It if furthermore important to, tell the child the penalties for bullying and be sure that you enforce them fairly and consistently, help children learn alternative ways to deal with anger and frustration, reward appropriate behavior, seek help or counseling if the behavior continues, if contacted by the school, do not become defensive but listen and know remember this is ultimately about the well-being of the child in question" (Beane, PhD).

Likewise it is equally important that a parent or caregiver, recognize behavioral changes in their child, which might indicate a problem with a bully. Some of the signs that caregivers should look for is when a child, makes up excuses for not wanting to go to school, prolonged depression, socially withdrawn, self-loathing, emotionally erratic, frequently hurt by a particular person or group of people, frequently picked on in the presence of other people, mistakes being turned into a big deal by someone, belongings stolen or taken and complaints of constantly being confronted with lies or rumors. Unfortunately this was the case for a student in Massachusetts. Thankfully, the student's Mother, Carla Carey recognized some of these familiar tell-tell signs of her daughter being a victim of bullying. Due to Mrs. Carey's attentiveness the outcries for help that her daughter echoed, did not fall of deaf ears. This concerned and proactive Mother, recollects her daughter's despair and hopelessness when she told her, 'I can't go on,' and 'Nobody will help me and nobody can help me,' " Mrs. Carey further stated that she "learned the warning signs, Phoebe Prince's suicide saved my daughter's life." (People Magazine).

This form of awareness by one child's Mother is what saved her daughter from further abuse, despair and possibly suicide. Therefore, the case which involved Mrs. Carey is a perfect example of how awareness can help eradicate the problem of bullying. For this reason, bullying does not need to be ignored and every act or threat of violence should be taken seriously, just as it was by Mrs. Carey.

In addition to educational training which brings about awareness, the issue of bullying also needs to be addressed not just at home but also at school as well. Since most bullying takes place at school, it is inevitably the responsibility of the school faculty and administrative officials to enforce a movement towards the non-tolerance of bullying. Specifically, a non-tolerance approach to eradicating bullying is making bullying a crime. This aggressive step is important because it not only protects students while at school but it also further protects students during non-school hours. This way, all parties which include parents, school faculty and staff are required to be accountable for the safety of its students. Although, curtailing bullying is a massive entity for the judicial system to wrap its arms around, it was embraced in a unanimously accepting manner. The manner of acceptance was manifested when it was announced, that the "Bullying Bill was ok'd in the House, 148 to 0 on March 18, 2010." (The Boston Globe) The most liberating and powerful aspect of the bill is accountability. Under this new Anti-Bullying Bill, it requires that "if principals determine that the bullying constitutes a criminal act, they would be required to report the incident to law enforcement. Secondly, the bill would require school officials to notify parents when their child is involved as either the victim or instigator of bullying. Thirdly, policies will also be in place that will include age-appropriate consequences for bullying from kindergarten through 12th grade.

In addition, any official who does not report an incident would be subject to being fired. The bill also requires school officials to undergo training to identify and respond to bullying, in person and online. However, requirements will not take effect until the 2011-12 academic year" (The Boston Globe) Unfortunately, this bill was not in effect prior to the deaths of "Phoebe Prince, 15, Carl Joseph Walker-Hoover, 11, Jaheem Herrera, an 11-year-old and many more, who committed suicide after allegedly being bullied in separate incidents over the past year" (The Atlanta Journal-Constitution)

it is yet still a victory despite such a destructive nemesis as bullying.
In conclusion, bullying is a problem that has been in existence for countless of years. However the gravity and the violent nature of the manner in which people have been bullied has progressed over the years. As a result, many youth have been cut down in their time of prime by the guiding hands of bullies and consequently, this has cost many promising students their lives. However, the problem that we face with bullying is a matter that cannot be solved on the individual basis but it takes a conglomerate effort of those in all parts of society. Without massive assistance, education and judicial backing the nemesis of bullying cannot be conquered. The ultimate responsibility of school age children's safety is all of ours because we are our brother's keeper.

Works Cited

Bascheler, Nancy. ""Anti-bullying bill passes House."." The Atlanta Journal-Constitution 19 Apr. 2010: 1. AJC. Web.

MSNBC. "Bullying can be a red flag for depression - Kids and parenting- msnbc.com." Breaking News, Weather, Business, Health, Entertainment, Sports, Politics, Travel, Science, Technology, Local, US & World News- msnbc.

McGraw, Jay. Life Strategies for Dealing with Bullies.. New York: Adladin, 2008. Print.

Rakowsky, Judy . ""INSIDE STORY: Mom Says Phoebe Prince Case Saved Daughter's Life."." people magizine 21 Apr. 2010: 1. People Magizine. Web. 22 Apr. 2010.

"School Bullying and Teasing Statistics Teen Bully." Troubled Teen Help Military Boarding Schools. N.p., 5 Sept. 2006. Web.
"Take Action Against Bullying, National Mental Health Information Center." mental illness, mental health information center. Version 1. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, n.d. Web.

Home / Writing Feedback / Anti-Bullying Informative Paper (Our Brother's Keeper)