IELTS TASK 2 - Appearance or Work Quality? Discuss both views.

jhhh11 14 / 30  
Hi everyone, by this thread, I want to ask for some advices on the writing timing: I am a slow writer, usually it takes me an hour or more to finish a task 2 essay. Apart from practicing more, what else should I do? How do you manage to have a high score essay within short timing?

Kindly give me a detailed band score, and any grammar, punctuation or sentencing fixes.
Thank you to all.

the importance of dress-code vs productivity at work

Some organisations believe that their employees should dress smartly. Others value quality of work above appearance.
Discuss both these views and give your own opinion.
Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own knowledge or experience.

WORD COUNT: 279

It is argued by some companies that the dress-code of their employees should reflect their bright values. Whereas, others believe that work productivity is more desirable. While I agree that the level of output is crucial to an organization, in my opinion, appearance is not less important.

On the one hand, the skillful and dedicated services of the workforce are the key to the success of one company, not the physical outlook. In that regard, the job satisfaction of employees should be well-cared. As a thought, some organizations, such as Facebook or Google, promote free dress-code within their institutions. This policy allows workers to enjoy their freedom of choices and may sense the respect that the company offers. Many managers believe that wearing favorable clothes will eventually motivate individuals to work harder and improve the company's performance.

On the other hand, many organizations do business directly with their customers. As a result, the appearance of their staffs cannot be lightly weighted and should be professionally managed. For instance, employees at most retail shops are required to dress neatly and formally to greet buyers. A seller's image is the representation of his company, therefore, may influence the business and its prospect. Besides that, even internal staffs should wear suitable clothes. An appropriate clothing manner prepares a person for a successful job prospect, or potential career progression by creating great impressions with higher-ranking managers or colleagues.

In conclusion, it may depend on a company's belief or its way of doing business that the value of physical appearance varies. Working productivity indeeds valuable to any organizations. However, I think that outlook of one individual is meaningful and should always be regarded properly.
Ptp03 4 / 6  
Your discussion is easy to follow. That is a plus point when you take the IELTS exam.
Good content and clear examples to support your ideas.
There are some certain words and phrases that I personally think that you can improve, or upgrade.
Should be well-cared => should be held in high regard/ prioritized
As a thought (what do you mean by this phrase?)
Chloeee 1 / 2  
Some people argue that dress codes are important because it representing the company in some jobs, however, others believe that work productivity is more desirable. While I agree that the quality of labour is crucial to an organization, I believe appearance is equal important.
Chloeee 1 / 2  
it may depend on a company's belief or its way of doing business that the value of physical appearance varies ->GRAMMAR MISTAKE
conclusion just need two sentences( paraphrase two sides and your own opinion)
The first thing you have to learn is how to outline an essay so that you can write faster. You don't have to write a long essay, just a proper length essay that will allow you discuss the outlined points in a quick manner. The original prompt for this essay can be outlined as follows:

Topic: Some organisations believe that their employees should dress smartly. Others value quality of work above appearance.
Instruction: Discuss both these views and give your own opinion.
Extra Points: include any relevant examples from your own knowledge or experience.

After dividing the prompt into sections, you now focus on the discussion topics per paragraph:

Topic Sentence 1: employees should dress smartly
Reason: Dressing smartly gives employees confidence
Example: Dressing well allows employees to present themselves smartly
Reason: Confidence is a mental state derived from the look of a person

Topic Sentence 2: Work quality is more important.
Reason: Dressing smartly doesn't mean an employee is competent
Example: A construction worker does not dress well but clients do not mind
Reason: He is judged by the quality of his work

Just quickly outline your thoughts during the 10 minute brainstorm and outlining process. Work on the specifics as you write the draft. That way you will write faster. Outline first, write next.

I do not want you to worry about your timing for now. Believe it or not, as you improve your English vocabulary, your writing skills will also improve, and along with that, your writing speed. You can't rush your writing time. It will develop naturally for you. Just remember to always practice writing using a timer. The timer will be the indicator of the improvement of your writing time every time you write a practice essay.

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS TASK 2 - Appearance or Work Quality? Discuss both views.