Writing IELTS TASK 2 It is believed that in a bad circumstance, the best decision is to live with it

lexuanhoa123 5 / 12 7  
TOPIC: Some people think it is best to accept a bad situation, such as an unsatisfactory job or shortage of money. Others argue that it is better to try and improve such situations.

Discuss both these views and give your own opinion.

It is believed that in a bad circumstance, the best decision is to live with it. Others, however, disagree and make an effort to improve the grim situation.

Some individuals calmly accept an ill-fortune situation instead of trying to improve it. This is because they take the view that some things are out of hand and trying to control them is impossible. They then decide to go with the flow and be positive that valuable lessons can be gained from bad fortune. Take a friend of mine, who is an excellent football player, as an example. He got sick before an important football match but he calmly accepted it and stayed at home to rest. Although he loved to participate, he knew that even if he tried to play, he would either get worsen or hinder his teammates in the match.

On the other hand, some think that making an effort to improve a bad situation is the best decision when facing a dilemma. These individuals are afraid or even paranoid of the negative consequences. For instance, a man lacking money may have nightmares at one point about being homeless, friendless, and unworthy in the future. Therefore, he tries to have more money by getting a second career or selling his assets. In other words, the man's nightmares motivate him to improve his grim circumstance.

In my opinion, when facing a bad situation, the wisest action is to analyze the problem thoroughly. If the problem is out of hand, then waste none of your time or effort in improving it. If there is a chance to make it better, however, then do it.

In conclusion, keeping a clear mind in an unpleasant circumstance is considerably important because being able to analyze the problem will help you choose the best course of action. Some things can be changed and improved but others are out of hand.

I have a question. The topic requires me to give my own opinion so should I write it in a separate paragraph or should I include it in my conclusion. Please answer and give feedback on my essay. Thanks in advance!!!
The personal opinion can be included in one of two ways:
1. The writer may opt to give a point of view after each public opinion presentation, avoiding the need for a stand alone opinion paragraph. (4 paragraphs)

2. The writer has the chance to write a stand alone paragraph after the public opinion explanation. A quick analysis and point of view for both discussion points will be required. Use a comparative paragraph with a clear supporting statement at the end. (5 paragraphs)

The concluding paragraph summarizes the previous discussions. The personal opinion cannot be a part of this as it will cause an open ended, meaning no conclusion statement, which will not recieve a score. Rather, the essay can fail as there is no conclusion present.
linh_nguyen90 2 / 3  
I suggest some alternatives as below. Hope this helps.

...and be positive that bad fortune may teach them vital things.

to face encounter/confront problems/dilema (I saw repetions)
OP lexuanhoa123 5 / 12 7  
Dear @Holt and @linh_nguyen90,
Thanks a lot for your useful feedback and answer. I'll keep that in my mind the next time I write another essay.
Have a good day! Bye.

Home / Writing Feedback / Writing IELTS TASK 2 It is believed that in a bad circumstance, the best decision is to live with it