Which is the best way to success: careful planning or risk-taking?

Vohoangmy 1 / 1  
The best way to possess a successful life is the topic that sparks differing opinions. For this reason, there is a belief that building a concrete plan is the key to obtaining significant achievement in life. On the contrary, others argue that success mainly depends on taking all opportunities. In this essay, I will elaborate on these views and express my perspective.

On the one hand, careful planning is an essential component of success. Firstly, a well-designed plan helps us to visualize a realistic goal. On that account, we can create the most logical and concise steps for our path to gaining achievement. When we devise a plan, we can determine what we want, how we can implement it, and the percentage of success. Sometimes, our ability doesn't meet our requirements. Therefore, we are flogging a dead horse if we focus on things beyond our possibilities. Secondly, during the plan-preparing process, there will be unwelcoming obstacles we can identify as the plan involves anticipation of the future. Achieving success is an arduous process in any way. However, a well-executed scheme can enhance our ability to address and mitigate difficulties as they arise. Therefore, it is necessary to recognize potential risks. Nevertheless, careful planning occasionally prevents us from being flexible. Because we do not possess the possibility to identify all the upcoming problems, it will be hard for us to deal with them when they appear.

On the other hand, the road to success relies predominantly on risk-taking. Firstly, taking risks offers more opportunities to develop ourselves despite the results. When engaging in a risk-taking endeavor, one can gain valuable experience and enhance their knowledge. These help us have a greater understanding of our strengths and weaknesses. Therefore, we have a substantial stepping stone to become our better version. Next, moving out of our comfort zone can help us improve our courage and self-confidence. On the way to achieving success, it is inevitable to face up with new and unexpected challenges. Although we can not expect and have the ability to resolve all inadvertent problems flexibly via careful planning, risk-taking is likely to address these smoothly. After successfully overcoming the challenges we encounter during our journey, we will acquire new knowledge and refine our existing skills, making us more resilient and capable of handling obstacles. Despite these advantages, we are uncertain whether it is successful or not. Risk-taking should make the right choices, which is critical in many situations. If we make the right decisions, we will experience success. However, if we make the wrong ones, there will be no second chance, and we might start from scratch. For that reason, risk-taking is similar to gambling.

In conclusion, even though these two views have pros and cons, I believe that excellent preparation has a better opportunity to achieve good growth as it can present solutions to most problems. For example, to have the students understand the lesson thoroughly, teachers should prepare the most comprehensive lecture before teaching to students.
This is a TOEFL based prompt. Since this is not an IELTS based discussion, the writing format for your response should totally change. That means, you do not neet a prompt restatement and writer's opinion presentation as you have in the first paragraph. The TOEFL test requires an immediate discussion right from the start. You do not need to waste time restating the problem and opinion. Just give your opinion in the immediate paragraph. The one thing that does not change though, is the need to have a single opinion for the essay topic. You are using a comparative essay, which does not follow the writing requirements. You may want to read some of the sample responses to the same topic here and read the advice that I gave them for the improvement of their writing and scoring in the actual test.
OP Vohoangmy 1 / 1  
Thank you for your advice.
However, this essay is not for TOEFL, it's just for my next English test.

Home / Writing Feedback / Which is the best way to success: careful planning or risk-taking?