IELTS TASK 2 - Clothes as a significant sign of the tendency what people are like

sharfina 35 / 21 5  
Some people say that the clothes people wear the most important indication of what they are like. Others, however, say that people should not be judged by the clothes they wear. Discuss both these views and give your own opinion.

Clothes help to protect body. Not only this, it is believed that garments put on by people could differentiate people's personality from other people. However, it is argued that judging people by their outfit is unjustified.

Apparently clothes are often used as a significant sign of the tendency what people are like. A 2015 recent study by Renata Rim as psychologist from Ohio University conducted that the accuracy of identification people's personality by the clothes style which is worn by people is 85%. Afterwards, she found that 31 of 35 people from different age cohorts who have different favorite clothes and fashion style have different personality. To illustrate, people who wear short pants and T-shirts, they are more likely to be easy-going, while people who dressed elegant are more friendly but tend to be selfish. Evidence of this can be seen that apparel can express their own individuality.

However, clothes may not result in an impression about people's behaviour. Journal of Fashion Marketing and Management published in 2013 shows researchers carried out the research with over 300 adults (men and women) in Manchester City related to assesment of people's appearance. This study shows people are bound to judge strange people in a-50 second of seeing another,yet 55 % of their judgment was not matched with the real personality of those. It is clear that making judgment about people from the clothes they wear is not always right.

The aforementioned evidence shows that clothes could indicate people's behaviour. However it is believed that it is not superficial to judge someone by the way they dress. It is imperative that choice of dress style should be carefully because people will make all sorts of assumptions and decisions about us without proper evidence.
tigeryip510 - / 5 1  
Clothes help to protect [i]our bodies[/i]

A 2015 recent study by Renata Rim asa psychologist

...who have different favorite clothes and fashion style have different personalities

more likely to be easy-going;

while people who dressedelegantly

...and Management published in 2013 shows researchers carrying out the research

It is imperative that choice of dress style should be carefully (add a verb here) eg. decided?

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS TASK 2 - Clothes as a significant sign of the tendency what people are like