[TOEFL] College and universities must do a better job for the workplace.

Setter 1 / 1  
Do you agree or disagree: College and universities must do a better job for the workplace.

Do you agree or disagree: college and universities must do a better job of preparing student for the workplace.

Nowadays, it is so competitive to get a good job, and lots of young people cannot find work after graduating for a long time. Of course I agree that college and universities should put more effort on helping students prepare for the workplace. In the following, I would like to explain m opinion by reasons and examples.

The main problem is that many students pick a major without fully understanding what jobs it will qualify them for once they graduate, and then they are frustrated to learn that the major does not come with a clear career path or one that they are not interested in following. My cousin, John, who is major in Mathematics, totally do not know what kind of job he could find after graduating. Until now, he still does a part-time job which is not much pay each hour. So helping students understand jobs associated their major is the most important thing that a school must do.

Too many students graduate with the belief that their degree will lead straight to a job. Schools should turn their concept into a right one that in most fields, a degree is simply a minimum qualification, not an instant pass to easy employment. For instance, when two people have the same degree, the employer would consider which one has experience because he can spend less time and money on training. Even though good grade might be important in our college life, there still are other achievements helping us make a superior resume.

To sum up, based on the reasons mentioned above, I believe it would be safe to conclude that schools should do a better job of preparing students for the workplace. Although some may still argue that schools do not have the responsibility of students` future work from time to time, I still believe that the advantages of helping students prepare get a good job would some outweigh those of the opposing viewpoint. With all that said, shouldn`t schools put more efforts on preparing students for the workplace?
Of course I agree that colleges and universities

.... either you must keep both plural or both singular... that way it reads better : )

In the following, I would like to explain m opinion by reasons and examples.

You do not have to state this because the examiner anyway expects you to do that. So do not waste time for sentences that don't add value for your essay. Remember, time is a crucial factor for this task : )

Anyways... your introduction is in line with the required structure; You introduce your topic and clearly state your opinion : ) .... That's more than enough for you to earn marks for intro : )

The main problem is that many students pick a major without fully understanding what jobs it will qualify them for once they graduate, and then they are frustrated to learn that the major does not come with a clear career path or one that they are not interested in following.

This sentence is very long and therefore it lacks clarity.... You should not let the reader to remember things because he wouldn't like it. Reader loves less work :D

My suggestion;

First, the students often lack necessary practical knowledge and skills for their desired career. They possess theoretical knowledge, but what is more important at the work place is the practical knowledge.
OP Setter 1 / 1  
Thank you!

Home / Writing Feedback / [TOEFL] College and universities must do a better job for the workplace.