'Computers can translate, so there's no need to learn foreign languages?' - IELTS

vickey 9 / 18  
Q. Today, there are computer programs that can translate languages. Some people say that since computer can translate language, children no longer need to study foreign languages. To what extend do you agree or disagree with this opinion?

A.

It is true that as technology developed, various kind of brilliant translator programs can replace interpreters. That is the reason why some experts consist that children do not have to learn foreign language. However, no matter how the technology is getting smart, children should learn foreign language because of the following reasons.

First of all, children can enrich their life through learning foreign language. Learning language does not mean only mastering language but also understanding other culture. It can give opportunity for the children to wide their view sights.

Secondly, dependence of translator or computer program is too dangerous. They are not human beings which means it has possibilities to make mistakes if it operated wrong. Moreover, such machines cannot translate every single emotional expression which we really want to tell.

Last of all, mastery foreign language could be children's future competency. As time goes by, the world is getting smaller. Many companies and colleges want to be globalized. Many employers and school admission officers prefer the people who can speak foreign language fluently.

In conclusion, it is obvious to tell learning foreign language is valuable process regardless the other alternative translator or computer programs.
jahan 1 / 8  
Dear my friend

i counted your words , i think you should write more because number of words was 195 .
silverfi 2 / 5  
I wish you have some examples to support your reasons.
None of translator program is able to detect the difference of language structures as we can see. Specially Korean and English use totally different sentence structure, so the translator often make a lot of mistakes. To translate word to word is fine, but sentence or essay to be translated by the program doesn't make sense a all. Also, many languages has subtle meaning based on their own culture. And the program can't detect the dialect now.

And I think it's sad to interact and communicate with people through the machine than directly person-to-person. :D

Home / Writing Feedback / 'Computers can translate, so there's no need to learn foreign languages?' - IELTS