IELTS writing task 1: Demographic change in Japan

Sunny0629 3 / 5 1  

population in japan

The question:
You should spend about 20 minutes on this task.
The table below shows the Japanese population by different age groups from 1970 to 2040.
Summarize the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant.

You should write at least 150 words.

The answer:
The chart presents information about three different age groups in Japan during the period from 1960 to 2000, and projections until 2040.
At the beginning of the 1960s, the 15-46 age group accounted for almost two thirds of the Japanese population, while the figure for under-14-year-old people is relatively low (30% only). And the smallest age group is the over-65s, who made up only 3% of the population at that time.

But all the situation changed dramatically in the following forty years. Although people aged 15-46 were still the major part of the Japan demographic, the proportion of them was volatile. It reach a new high (around 75%) in 1990 but quickly dropped to about 62% a decade later. And the percentage of people aged under 14 gradually declined to 20% by the end of 2000, while the figure for people aged over 65 increased noticeably to 20% (on a par with the under 14 age group).

And the proportion of the 15-46 age group and people aged under 14 may keep failing sharply to approximately 55% and 4% respectively until 2040. By comparison, the percentage of over-65s age groups is likely to grow significantly to 50%, only slightly less than the 15-46 age group.

Overall, the proportion of elderly people in Japan is rising rapidly, while the proportion of middle-aged people and children is both showing a moderate decline. By 2040, the proportion of the elderly and middle-aged population is expected to be closer, and considerably higher than the proportion of children. (253 words)

For those of you who have read this paper, could you please give me some advice on IELTS Task 1? I am not familiar with the composition structure of IELTS Task 1. When practicing Task 1, I often find that when I finish expressing what I want to express, it usually takes more than 20 minutes, and the number of words is far more than the 150 words mentioned in the question. How can I solve this problem? Please tell me, thanks.

The number one requirement of this task is the ability of the writer to say what he means clearly using the best descriptive words possible, while using actual data from the image. This is a quick analysis presentation. It does notrequire indirect then direct references. State the data in the paragraph, not in the parenthesis. Avoid exaggerated and emotional references. Save that for specific task 2 discussions. The task 1 essay is not a creative writing exercise. There is no need to overstate information. That sends the analysis off track and renders the presentation less than accurate to the reader. These changes should lessen your word count and keep you within the 20 minute mark.
OP Sunny0629 3 / 5 1  
@Holt Thanks for you help, that's really helpful for me. Have a nice day!

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS writing task 1: Demographic change in Japan