Discussion about a short example in my essay

a5b5935 1 / 4  
Thank you very much for helping me!!
I have a short example in my essay. And I'm not sure whether it's appropriate to illustrate my ability and whether I write it without some grammar mistakes.

For example, one day a student asked a question about Landau quantization. It seemed confusing that it is possible to have a negative magnetic quantum number. I don't answer this in class because of the time limit. Andy came to me after class and pointed out that the center of orbit is not necessarily at the origin. He thought out of the box and solved the problem completely.

Thank you for your time!!
I don't answer this in class because of the time limit.

I didn't answer this in the class because there wasn't sufficient time for me to do that. ----------- you are talking of an incident in the past. So you need to keep this one also in the past tense : )

And I'm not sure whether it's appropriate to illustrate my ability and whether I write it without some grammar mistakes

I cannot figure out what you mean by illustrating your ability... :(
OP a5b5935 1 / 4  
Thank you very much!!
I often make mistakes in writing English.

At the end of the example, I wrote "He thought out of the box and solved the problem completely." I think it kind of demonstrate my originality in thought. Do you think it is too weak?

:D .... Well... we all do :D What is more important is that we learn from our mistakes : )

That line is grammatically fine. I don't get what you mean by "my originality in thought". This is Andy who solved the problem, didn't he?

So, your role there is not clear... Without having any idea as to why you write this, it's difficult to comment on this :(
OP a5b5935 1 / 4  
This is Andy who solved the problem, didn't he?

sorry, I don't make it clear.
My name is Andy. It is written in another person's view

Ohhhhhh.... sorry... now it's even confusing to me

... who is this student who asked the question?

...then if you are Andy, why do you say "Andy came to me after class " ?

If you explain clearly what you want to tell, then I should be able to help! : )
OP a5b5935 1 / 4  
who is this student who asked the question?

Just a student in class, maybe the sentence can be changed into "For example, one day a question about Landau quantization was raised in class. "

....then if you are Andy, why do you say "Andy came to me after class " ?

I'm writing the draft of a professor's evaluation. He's too busy to write it all by himself
Thank you so much!!

Okkkkkkk....now I got it :D .... OMG... you puzzled me too much ...lol :D

For example, one day some student in my class raised a question on Landau quantization, which seemed quite confusing because there is a possibility to have a negative magnetic quantum number. I did not make any attempt to answer this question at that moment because it needed time and I did not want to have my lecture disturbed. So I told the class that I would discuss the question at the next session. However, Andy walked up to me after the class with a bright new idea; he pointed out that the centre of the orbit is not necessarily be at the origin. I was astonished and impressed so much by his unorthodox style of thinking which found the solution for that confusing problem with much ease.

Hope this would help you!
OP a5b5935 1 / 4  
Thank you so much!!!

Hope this would help you!

Definitely it helps!!!

Home / Writing Feedback / Discussion about a short example in my essay