Writing exercise : a prompt about reading.

ravatrav 3 / 8 4  

I am a book person

Hi, EF members. I have this prompt about reading just to work on my writing skill. Any comments and suggestions are deeply appreciated, thank you.

The questions of the prompt :

Do you like to read? How often do you read?
What do you like to read and why?
Tell us about something you read recently
.

..........................................................................

I absolutely a book person and am very much into reading. I read as often as I sip my cup of water. Be it a book, articles, short stories, or web pages, I love reading them. From the various genres that I read, I specially keen on reading fantasy stories. I love how it manages to bring myself to imagine something I never find in real life and most of those stories are really exciting and adventurous such as those in Harry Potter, Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Darren Shan's Demonata series, and Derek Landy's Skulduggery Pleasant series. Nowadays though, I read more of a history genre where it allows myself to indulge in a journey to the past that make the future as it is. Just recently, I read my new purchased book titled '1001 Inventions : The Enduring Legacy of Muslim Civilization' by Professor Salim T S Al-Hassani and it amazes me a lot. It brings back a great civilization's history, where people from different nations, races and religions were living in harmony, and its role in today's modern world that is very much forgotten and ignored. Truly a masterpiece must I say.
cewhalee 1 / 1  
I AM absolutely a book person ...
You have connecting word issues in the essay. For example, you should say "I AM absolutely a book person." Also, you have a noun phrase problem in the series "... book, articles, short stories, or web pages..." All the references in the series are singular, then you suddenly went plural with "web pages", thus causing a noun phrase problem. Keep everything uniform. If you start with the plural form, end with the plural form. If you start with singular forms, end as such. So it is "web page", not "web pages". Use more punctuation marks in your writing. in the section, "I read, I AM specially keen on..." you should be using a semicolon instead of a comma after the word "read". Please remember to use the word "AM after "I". You keep forgetting that connecting word.

When you were asked, "How often do you read?" I understand that you were trying to be creative in your response but, what you wrote was essentially a non-response to the question. The reader has absolutely no idea how often you sip water from your cup. So give direct answers to questions. Question = direct response. So, how often do you read? Several times a day? Once a day? At bedtime? While having meals? Indicate a response that can have the reader assume a numerical response.

Let's put it this way, the grammar isn't perfect, there are some mistakes in response presentations, but overall, this is not a bad English grammar exercise. Most of the essay is understandable except for the part I pointed out above. Not a bad try. I can see your potential for improvement in terms of grammatical accuracy. I hope to see such changes in your next practice response essay.
OP ravatrav 3 / 8 4  
@Holt thank you very much for pointing my errors out, especially the grammar which I have a serious problem with. Just found out that a semicolon can be used that way, guess I also need to work on my usage of punctuation mark. Hopefully I can do better in my next attempt.

Home / Writing Feedback / Writing exercise : a prompt about reading.