IELTS Task 1: How Do U.S. Expenditures Compare With Those Of Other Countries?

ellisana 1 / -  
IELTS Task 1: Shares of expenditures for selected categories in 4 countries, 2009

four countries expenditures

The bar chart gives information for 4 countries (United States, Canada, United Kingdom and Japan) regarding the shares of expenditures on five categories such as food, housing, transportation, health care and clothing in 2009.

It is noticeable that housing expenditure share was the highest cost of categories which United States spent the larger of housing than other countries, at 26%. UK, Japan, and Canada followed on 24%, 22% and 21%. Next, food and transportation categories were in most quite similar. Japan had 23% on food category and it was the biggest proportion than food expenditure rate in other countries between 14% and 20%. In other hand, Briton spend smaller cost of transportation sector than Canadian, American and Japanese, about one in ten.

Standing in contrast, the percentage of health care and clothing was extremely lower than other categories, just around one in twenty. Briton spent approximately 1% on health care sector and it was the lowest proportion in data shown.

• Bar Chart
Lisa, in order to create the possibility of gaining a higher score in this task, try to write at least 250 words. With that kind of word count, you will be able to show a proper depth of knowledge when it comes to task accuracy, lexical resource, as well as grammar accuracy and range. At the moment, this essay falls short in properly representing your skills in those 3 areas due to the brevity of your report.

Your second paragraph could have been apportioned into 2, with each new paragraph given more development in terms of information presentation. Doing so would have also helped you to better display your English language skills. It is always best to meet the minimum word count required in any essay. That way you get proper consideration in terms of scoring.

You don't need to say more than the bare minimum if you feel your skills are not adequate enough to garner a higher rating. Just aim for the minimum or a little higher than minimum score for your essay in this section of the test.
Hjamil 1 / 4 1  
Try to group the subjects (4 countries) with minimum two categories (for example the maximum and the minimum expenditure of each country) and explicitly mention them in two distinctive body paragraph. The flow of the language can be improved by using more appropriate pivotal words.
ayuriska 7 / 13 1  
Hi @ellisana, in the second point, you should explain bit more about clothing percentage.
In other hand, BritonJapan spend smaller cost of transportation
UK, (...) and 21% respectively .

thanks

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS Task 1: How Do U.S. Expenditures Compare With Those Of Other Countries?