False, deceptive advertising - strategies to deceive consumers

Crystal812 23 / 55 11  
(TOEFL) Most advertisements make products seem much better than they really are

Within the last few generations, there has been an precendented development of advertising strategies. In advertisements, companies use a variety of techniques to perfect their products and facilitate people's purchasing. They take advantage of colorful light, attractive celebrities and complex scientific concepts to fool consumers in the market.

Firstly, using great artificial light is a crucial method to make products look fascinating. I remember at the beginning of the year, a lot of people discuss online whether the dress is white and gold, or black and blue. It indicates the physical principle that products' colors can be influenced by the light. I bet everyone has experiences, that advertisements online showing beautiful colors of items mislead people to buy something regretfully. What they get in their hands have totally different colors due to the effect of light.

Secondly, companies are more likely to hire celebrities to show their products and render them to boast their items in ads. For example, a pair of sneakers endorsed by a race champion may be more appealing than those without celebrities. No matter whether they are useful or not, people believe that those shoes can contribute to speed and convenience.

Last but not least, advertisements make consumers confused by using scientific concepts. For instance, according to the FDA, a colossal number of beverages are sold for lack of fat, and they make individuals believe that they can lose weight by drinking them . However, those merchants do not tell their consumers in ads that, the sugar in it exceeds the regular standard, which is very unhealthy for people.

In conclution, most advertisements make products seem much better than they really are, by the means of artificial light, attrative celebrities and professional concepts. As a result, we should pay attention to details of products and we ought to be alert to those overstatements created by merchants.
Wolf Larsen - / 127 47  
The following are the corrections that I think should be applied to the text: 1. 'there has been an precendented ' - an unprecedented. 2. 'They take advantage ' - These companies take advantage. 3. 'to fool consumers ' - to mislead consumers. 4. 'a lot of people discuss ' - people used to discuss. 5. 'What they get ' - What buyers get. 5. 'A pair of sneakers endorsed by a race champion may be more appealing than those without celebrities ' - A pair of sneakers, endorsed by a celebrity, will represent a much greater commercial appeal to consumers, as compared to what it would have been the case without such an endorsement. 6. 'advertisements make consumers confused by using scientific concepts ' - advertisers often confuse consumers by the mean of referring to the opinions of 'experts', which are, in fact, nothing but hired actors.

Home / Writing Feedback / False, deceptive advertising - strategies to deceive consumers