IELTS WRITING TASK 2: SHOULD THE GOVERNMENT CARRY AND CONTROLL SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH?

ththao_99 5 / 10 4  
Scientific research should be carried out and controlled by the governments
rather than private companies.

DO YOU AGREE OR DISAGREE?

There is a constant debate on the roles of governments and private companies in carrying and controlling scientific research. While some argue that governments should conduct and control it, I strongly believe that government and private businesses should cooperate to gain the best results.

On the other hand, it is said that the fact that private companies conduct scientific research is posing a threat to society. If there is no regulation of governments, some companies are willing to use the results of scientific research to profiteer regardless to its serious consequences. For example, in 2015, a company in China secretly changed the gene of new-born babies, breaking the laws of human rights. This experiment begged a question about the morality of science and even the future of humans. However, if governments carry on scientific research, research can be supported and regulated to guarantee its legitimacy.

On the other hand, I tend to agree with the viewpoint that the investment on scientific research is extremely huge and with a limited budget, governments are unable to do it. Conducting a research needs a tremendous financial support to build laboratory, recruit talent scientists and pay for all the equipment in the research. They can cost a fortune and it would be more practical if this amount of money of government is spent to solve numerous current problems of humans such as poverty and hunger. Besides, the lack of budget from government can limit scientific research, which hinders the development of science.

Personally, I think that it would be more effective to allow private companies to conduct research and governments will be the ones regulating it.

To sum up, while the advantages of the control of government in scientific research are obvious, I firmly believe that the best solution is the cooperation of governments and private companies.

* Please let me know what score my essay deserves. Thanks so much.
leerose111 2 / 4  
You make some relevant points and provide some specific examples to support your arguments, while there are some redundant words that sometimes impede understanding.
And actually, I think it is better to delete both "on the other hand" on your paragraphs 2 and 3.

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS WRITING TASK 2: SHOULD THE GOVERNMENT CARRY AND CONTROLL SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH?