Should government impose higher price on fuel for vehicles to curb environmental problems?

Hpvpho 1 / -  
some people think that the goverment should increase the cost of fuel for cars and other vehicles to solve environmental problems.

Give your opinion (Ielts writing task 2)

It is unequivocal that human activities have caused myriad negative impacts on our environment. Some people argue that the government should impose higher price on fuel for cars and other vehicles to curb such problems. Although this might be a viable solution, I believe there are other measures which are far more effective.

Granted, the increase in the cost of fuel may bring certain benefits in reversing the damage done to the environment. This is based on the assumption that when policy-makers impose higher taxes on fuel for transportation, the residents may limit their time using private transport such as cars or motorbikes to save fuel and they are likely to divert to using public transport which is much more economical. Such action may lead to lower consumption of fuel among residents, resulting in lower amount of carbon emissions emitted into the environment and hence, the air quality would be improved. However, this line of reasoning is not sound as the amount of carbon emissions from transportation pales in comparison with that from industrial activities. As a result, the effort to increase fuel price for vehicles may yield little impacts on solving environmental problems.

To add further credence to my assertion, there are a number of solutions that policy-makers can take to drain the amount of CO2 emitted from the industrial sector. Chief of these is imposing stricter regulations on the maximum amount of carbon dioxide released annually. Furthermore, hefty fines and suspension of business activities should be adopted for companies breaking the laws. In addition, seeking alternative energy, including solar or wind energy may act as a feasible solution when it comes to alleviating the amount of carbon footprint emitted into the environment. Such greener substitutes not only generate less carbon dioxide compared to fuel energy but also empower the government to establish a sustainable source of energy, eliminating the dependence on carbon-producing energy.

In conclusion, although the increase in the cost of fuel may lead to the reduction in the amount of CO2 to a certain extent, I believe that it would be a more effective target for the government to reduce the amount of carbon dioxide emitted from the industrial domain.
The task 2 essay should be written with up to 300 words only, within 40 minutes. It is an opinion writing task, but not a vocabulary focused essay. While the essay should be focused on a possible academic audience, it should not be turned into an oration either. simplicity is key to actual impressive task 2 writing scores. Exaggerated vocabulary ends up trying to impress the examiner in the wrong way. Every"big" word used must be done so in the proper content or the LR score will be reduced due to improper word usage. This is exactly what happened several times in this presentation. Had the with used simple everyday words to establish his explanation, he would have seen a far better LR scaring credit overall. Keeping it simple, short, and professional is what the examiner expects from the test taker. The presentation is good, but trying too hard to gain favor, which led to forced ethors in the presentation.

Home / Writing Feedback / Should government impose higher price on fuel for vehicles to curb environmental problems?