IELTS Writing Task 2 - Governments should make universities free for everyone

mayajuststart_0 1 / -  
Topic:
Some people believe that everyone has a right to have access to university education and that governments should make it free for all students no matter what financial background they have.

To what extent do you agree or disagree?

It is argued that tuition fees should be abolished for all students to pursue higher education. In my perspective, implementing the free university policy for all students would have detrimental effects.

First, the provision of free-of-charge third-level education contributes to a higher unemployment rate. As a large number of students enter higher education, more graduates will work in the professions that they are trained in. As a result, a highly competitive environment will form where job opportunities are limited, but the number of job-seekers is surplus.

Moreover, waiving tuition will diminish the value of tertiary education. Many high school seniors will attend college since they appeal to the free-education policy. These include people with little intention to continue further studies. Despite being entitled to attend third-level education, people might take it for granted. Despite the expert and insightful knowledge that universities provide, it will be devalued if given to the wrong people.

Some may allege that the government's subsidy of college education offers more opportunities for students to pursue further education, facilitating a more educated workforce. While this is true, governments can promote more tuition waivers without abolishing the tuition fees. These provide students aspiring for higher education substantial benefits while also ensuring the consequences of the opportunity-granting program are avoided.

With all being considered, I firmly believe there should not be tuition exemption for all students due to the risks of higher unemployment rates and the decrease in the value of tertiary education. However, tuition waivers should be promoted for aspiring students' growth.

(254 words)
Did you review the response requirement for the essay prior to drafting it? If you did, then you would have seen that your response, though correct in principle, does not meet the full scoring requirements for the prompt. That is because you did not address the measurement of (dis)agreement with the given topic. Make sure that you address the response in the proper manner next time so that you will not receive technical deductions in the preliminary phase.

Additionally, you created a prompt deviation in the end by making a proposal to address the situation of free education. Do not give a response to any topic of question that is not part of the original presentation. That will create a discussion alteration and could force the examiner to fail your overall score.

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS Writing Task 2 - Governments should make universities free for everyone