How does higher education in Denmark differ from India?

shiring 1 / 3  
The question is
How does higher education in Denmark differ from India? Please offer your personal interpretation of the two systems.
"The following case question tests your knowledge on how higher education in Denmark differ from India. We highly encourage you to spend time coming up with a good response - this is your opportunity to showcase your creativity and innovative thinking!"

Please suggest how to improve the content of the essay and grammatical mistakes.

According to the Denmark's international student experience blogs I have understood that I in Denmark it is Student-centered learning and and open debate during class, they have written that the Traditional lectures are combined with project work with the teacher as a consultant. The exams are conducted in a way to test the true potential and problem solving skills gained through the course work rather than the self centered learning in India , where students don't focus on the quality of the subject but on the grades they get. Regarding the project work or thesis, it's a professor guided, implemented style where the student gets to do paper work instead of working on the issue of his project.

The above statements are supported in the educational system rankings produced by the HEIDRICK and STRUGGLE an internationally reputed search firm where Denmark stood 3rd position globally whereas India took a whooping 56th position. According to the firm which recruits global talent they have ranked Denmark to be leading the world in the Quality of labor force, However India stood in 18th position and in the talent environment also the Denmark leads India by 32 ranks. The Credit goes to the Policies and reforms implemented by Higher Education society is Denmark.

The European Union (EU) innovation index place Denmark in the 2nd spot. This shows the rate and the quality of inventions that are taking place in Denmark universities. This might be the result of many collaborated projects that the Universities of Denmark have with the Industries and EU, some of them are New Nordisk Foundation stem cells research, CISS connect, HOME Port intelligence energy control in home energy consumption. Though India might not be part of the EU the innovation index ranking when compared globally makes a huge difference between the two countries this is due to lack of industrial collaboration which Indian universities lack behind.

The international Top ranked universities according to Shanghai Ranking are University of Copenhagen which stood in 35th position and Aarhus university which is in the top 100 are result due to the strong collaboration with internationally innovative research programs and strong ties with EU industries and exchange programs , research programs like Research infrastructure with solar Energy Photovoltaic cells(SOPHH) of Aarhus university and PAN European gas and oil climate interaction study projects in University of Copenhagen are some of many programs which are leading research field as compared to India the political turmoil, lack of involvement with industries have always impact on the education system and research where none of the universities stood in the top 100 rankings globally.

The Entrepreneurship from Denmark is also a important quality that is encouraged in the Higher education system, the Denmark's start-up developed an application ISSuu a publishing and reading tool which took place 12 globally is an example, India has 87th position for one of the startups called fresh desk. This shows the skills variation that can be developed in both the education systems out of which Denmark leads the way.

Finally Denmark is the third happiest place on the planet, where people have good work life balance, 37-hour work week, Happiness at work which is result of the education systems where more than 80% people pursue higher studies with governments and private funds. In my opinion the Denmark's higher education system is more enthusiastic, interesting and always embracing for students all over the world.
Shiring, the essay that you wrote really provides an enormous amount of information about education Denmark. However, the fact that you are quoting the information from blogs and other sources makes your presentation an impersonal one rather than providing the personal interpretation that the promt is asking you to present. The biggest mistake that you made in developing your response was mentioning blogs and other sources such as the European Union Innovation Index and similar studies.

What you should have done was provide the information in a less formal and creative way. As the prompt suggests, the writing format that they are looking for should "showcase your creativity and innovative thinking!" So that means that the paper should have a semi-formal, almost casual tone to it. The way you have the paper written now and the way you have presented the information is more academic and formal. In fact, it sounds more like a research paper than a personal perspective presentation.

My suggestion is that you revise the paper in order to better present the format that the reviewer requires. Read the information from the blogs and other sources, concentrate on comparisons between the Denmark and India based education systems, in fact, those are the 3 keywords that you should use in your Google search in order to come up with the comparison paper required.

Speaking of which, that is another reason why you have to revise the paper. This isn't really a comparison paper because your response dealt only with the Dane's system of education. You were supposed to compare and contrast the two according to the prompt which requires you to present the difference between the two systems. You did not accomplish that at all and as such, failed to deliver the actual prompt requirements.

I hope that you can revise the essay soon. It is really an interesting topic that they are asking you write about. Try to remain comfortable while writing the paper. they don't want a facts based report, they want to read about your opinion of the two educational systems. What is good about each and what is not so good about each as well. I look forward to reading the revision :-)
OP shiring 1 / 3  
Hi lousia @vangeispen ,
I have written the essay again , if you could help me create some interesting points, please do.

It is a quiet evening and I was researching about where I should pursue my masters in electrical engineering. It was ...
Shiring, I have revised your essay in order to shorten it and make it more creative in presentation to the reviewer. You chose a very good way to discuss the difference between the Danish and Indian way of education. It is complete and discusses the most important comparison points. All that is left to do is grammar checking and essay polishing. I did that for you below:

Please feel free to make any changes to the essay as I have it revised for you if you feel the need to :-) I'll be here for you to consult with if the need arises.
OP shiring 1 / 3  
Thanks lousia,
But do you think that the story i came it became more of imaginative sort or something like that ? I want to know whether in essays we can be imaginative ?

I would like to go with your idea.
OP shiring 1 / 3  
Hey lousia , I have reduced the word count to 600 could you please help me in reducing 100 more words. The essay is not being accepted by the computer as it crossed 500 words
Hi Shiring, in answer to your first question, you certainly can get creative in writing your response to the essay. The problem with your original concept about William Dane as an imaginary friend was that the strength of your information would have been lessened since it all happened in an imagined world. that is why I decided to reverse the concept and turn it into an actual, informative conversation with the same named person instead. You can be as imaginative as you want in the essays you write, provided that the prompt allows you to do that as in the case of this particular essay prompt. Creativity in writing is always good, within certain parameters.

As for your over the limit essay, I was able to bring the word count down to 482 words. I hope I was able to edit it to your satisfaction :-)

I was sitting in front of my laptop in our family living room, entering hour 5 of my current 4 hour marathon university search on the internet continuing to take notes regarding the masters degree requirements of university number 5 , I failed to notice that my father's friend, William Dane had arrived. I was surprised when I heard someone calling my name Mr. Dane was sitting across the coffee table from me. Asking what I was doing, I responded that I was looking for a university to attend for my studies. He asked, "Have you considered studying in Denmark?" I simply answered, "No." He advised me to consider the option, which led to a discussion comparing the educational system of Denmark with India.

Denmark, according to him, has a continuous learning process which was more practical than theoretical. I explained that the Indian educational system was more theoretical which was why the students were more concerned with learning concepts.

In India our focus in education is either breadth or depth of knowledge, it was a method that had proved to be fruitful for students who get into multinational companies. William agreed with me somewhat, explaining that in Denmark, the prospects of breadth and depth of knowledge is balanced, which is the reason why the Dane's are the second best globally when it comes to producing a quality work force. Denmark's education focuses on technological evolution in order to fight "unemployment" and produce a good work force, a stark contrast with Indian education.

In India the post graduate projects which play an important role in the course work are designed by the professor. The students play a lesser role in deciding the projects as a result the chances of getting working based on new ideas is reduced. This is the reason why India registers less patents and innovations. William smiled knowingly then told me that in Denmark, Dane's select the project and lead the project till the end and professors provide the guidelines, the reason why they are most innovative in Europe. Dane's enjoy creating innovations. I found myself wishing that we had such a chance for the students in India to select their projects.

Towards the end of our exchange, William asked me about the interdisciplinary programmes in India and exchange programs, He said that they are well encouraged in Denmark to study abroad and have new experiences and adventures. I intimated that in India, we have very few of those programmes and we concentrate on one particular course. For example, if I am pursuing my masters in electrical engineering and would like to study some biology course as an add on course, that wouldn't happen in India. As our conversation ended because my father had joined us in the living room, I felt excited about what I learned during our conversation and began considering pursuing my masters in Denmark.

Home / Writing Feedback / How does higher education in Denmark differ from India?