Hosting international events - IELTS writing task 2

Anniehoangpham 1 / -  
Some people think that hosting an international sports event is good for the country, while some people think it is bad. Discuss both views and state your opinion.

International sport event has become increasingly common in the recent decades. The majority believe that the host country will earn a big economic benefits after the events, while some others argue that they will have to face a risk of crime and vandalism rising rate due to uncontrollable tourism rising rate. Supporting ideas for both views and my opinion will be given below.

To begin with, although these global events are great opportunities for host countries to increase worldwide exposure, they also are confronted with crucial challenges. Unmanageable tourism could lead to rising rate of pickpocket, demolition and environment ruined in famous destinations. There are some records that after the tourist seasons, the authorities have a to pay a lot of money and attention to fixing and restoration.

On the other hand, I am of the opinion that benefits that the host countries are getting from world-scaled events overwhelm the throwback they had on environment. By being the host, a country is able to appeal a vast array of visitors and money injections, which push infrastructure, accommodations and public services to be improved, and in a long term, it's a good sign for a country to improve and promote their culture in a global scale. Vietnam during the SEA GAMES 2003, for example, was full of tourists and also known as a must destination for food lovers. This do wonders to Vietnam economy.

In conclusion, in every international sport events, host countries do have to face challenges but hospitality and economy boosting are way more significant.
The first thing I noticed about this writing was that you only wrote 256 words. I feel that is not enough to properly highlight your written skills based on the scoring considerations. The examiners tend to view more favorably on essay between 275 and 300 words long. Please try to write a longer essay to merit a better score in the future.

Reading the prompt paraphrase and writer's opinion, I have to say that I am disappointed as you did not paraphrase the original prompt properly. The original data is not accurately represented. You have included information that belong in the body of the discussion, not in the paraphrasing section. There is also no thesis statement provided. Therefore, The TA score will be a failing one since the paraphrase is not related to the original discussion. This means, based on the word count, and incorrect paraphrasing, the essay is already going to get a final failing score. There are also several other problems existing in the essay but the ones I stated are the reasons why the essay will immediately receive a failing score.

Home / Writing Feedback / Hosting international events - IELTS writing task 2