Home / Writing Feedback   % width NEW!

IELTS: International travel and mass media? 'distinctive tradition of tribes'

princedynasty 15 / 57 4  
Topic: The ease of international travel and the spread of various kinds of mass media all over the world have made it possible than ever for people to know how other people live in other countries. Do advantages outweigh disadvantages?

It is a fact that the popularity of travelling abroad and mass media is conducive to the understanding between people in different countries. However, these developments bring about major changes positively as well as negatively.

First of all, the ease of international travel is beneficial. Thanks to the innovation in transportation, especially the aviation industry, people have more opportunities to visit famous tourist attractions in the world. They can grasp knowledge of local customs and etiquettes directly instead of reading geological references. As a result, travelers' conception of the culture and society of those countries are impervious to distorted information or stereotypes. In addition, should international travel be encouraged, local residents will become more hospitable and friendly towards visitors. Some minor tribes may be willing to write guide books to introduce their distinctive tradition.

As regards the mass media, especially the Internet and TV, they have played a vital part in popularizing information in geological and social terms instantly. Therefore, people can easily broaden their knowledge about foreign countries in a variety of fields. Thorough understanding will probably help to prevent unexpected conflicts between people from different nations.

Nevertheless, there are possible disadvantages of international travel and mass media. In particular, when people in poorer countries watch TV about developed countries, they might become envious of the luxurious life there. More seriously, travelers from rich countries often regard the locals as inferiors, which is bound to cause local people's grievance, even boycott on the appearance of foreign tourists.

From analysis suggested above, there are significant pros and cons resulting from these developments. In my opinion, advantages still outweigh disadvantages because international travel and mass media have promoted understanding between countries and cultures, which has been one of the greatest developments in modern times.

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS: International travel and mass media? 'distinctive tradition of tribes'