IELTS writing task 2 - Learning English at school is often seen as more important than learning...

AlbyMan 1 / -  
Hi all, can you please review my IELTS task 2 essay? Thank you.

Learning English at school is often seen as more important than learning local languages. If these are not taught, many are at risk of dying out.

In your opinion, is it important for everyone to learn English? Should we try to ensure the survival of local languages and, if so, how?

Local languages are at risk of disappearing if not studied in school, especially because they are often considered not as important as English. In my opinion we must preserve the existence of local languages, even though English is very important nowadays.

In 2024 English is one of the most spoken languages in the world, it's a sort of "common language" used by people from different countries to speak with each other: this is a very important reason to know English, because it allows people to connect despite different cultures, ethnicity and, obviously, language spoken. For example, scientific papers are all written in English, giving the possibility to researchers to share knowledge, in order for our society to progress.

Even considering the importance of English, in my opinion it should be taught as a second language. It is not acceptable to leave local languages out of the academic environment, considering them sometimes less important because spoken and used by fewer people: they should be considered as the first language and taught in school as that, granting more weekly hours to their teaching compared to English. There is no point treating local languages as something that is only spoken and not written, or as a language already known therefore irrelevant to study deeper.

In the end, I think that despite the clear impact which English has on our society, viewing local languages as less important is not the right way to follow and school programs should dedicate more hours to their teaching.
even though English is very important nowadays.

You are not providing a thesis statement as required in this paragraph. You must provide the reason for your opinion as required by the guide question. It is not going to be good for the preliminary score of this paragraph to have a missing element in the response as it will result in a score deduction for that section. In relation to this, you need to extend your concluding summary by another sentence to meet the scoring requirement for that section. The run on sentence will again, be a score reduction on your part. Consider extending your reasoning paragraphs as well. You have written only 250 words, which is the minimum word count, but will not help to increase the overall score, per section. Aim for 275 to 300 words next time.

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS writing task 2 - Learning English at school is often seen as more important than learning...