Public libraries are no longer important / replaced by gadgets

surbhisid96 1 / -  

is it true that libraries have lost their significance?

Some people think that public libraries are no longer important while others disagree. Discuss both sides and give your opinion.

It is argued by some individuals that libraries have lost their significance over the past few decades while there are others who consider them as an indispensable part of the society. Both the opposing arguments will be discussed before a reasoned conclusion is decided upon.

To begin with, there are umpteen reasons why people assert that libraries are not required nowadays. Firstly, they maintain that the cumbersome tasks of going to the library and investing time in searching the books have been simplified by the introduction of the internet. Along with this, various gadgets such as iPads and smartphones provides quick and easy access to information. Thus, the internet equips the users to acquire knowledge in an expeditious manner which completely rules out the possibility of going to the libraries. In addition, plenty of individuals claim that the maintenance of public libraries involves a lot of expenditure which puts a burden on the government funds.

However, many others see libraries as a crucial part of society. They believe that libraries are recreational places where people can socialize and gain knowledge at the same time. Moreover, in some public libraries, there may be a provision of a wide range of archaic and local documents which would not otherwise be available on the internet, for obtaining information. In addition, libraries provide a serene and comfortable environment in which the readers can read without the presence of any distractions. Therefore, the libraries offer a lot of benefits to the people and they are considered to be irreplaceable.

In summary, after looking at these two opposing views, it can be seen that although libraries are being replaced by various gadgets, and they require high maintenance yet the advantages of libraries certainly outweigh the disadvantages. Hence, it is felt that libraries are an invaluable asset to society in terms of fostering social relationships along with providing extensive information.
Maria - / 1,098 389  
Look into your usage of punctuation. For instance, there should have been a comma in between decades and while in the structure of your introduction because they're two independent thoughts/clauses. Watch out for small mistakes such as this that can compromise the overall quality of your essay.

Furthermore, I also suggest integrating the first sentence of the second paragraph into the first paragraph. Afterwards, you may briefly introduce the points you are about to tackle. If you follow this structure, you can create a more structured essay that is easier to read for the people.

I also suggest looking into developing more innovative or extensive arguments that are for the proliferation of libraries. For instance, your thoughts regarding how the provision of archaic documents is not easily available in the internet is contestable. There are culturally and historically relevant documents that are now being digitized because of the costs of preservation. Instead, perhaps you can discuss the reason why these libraries still contribute to the overall well-being of its community despite the costly maintenance. Discuss its social and cultural implications; analyze why these implications persist and are still relevant in spite of all the controversy surrounding them.

Aside from that, I think that your overall grammar usage is good enough. Keep up the work.
Hammy 13 / 35  
in my opinion, your essay is too long for writing task 2. i'm scared that you will have enough time to do a real test.

your ideals and your grammar are so good and i so admire you
if i can, i suggest that why don't you give a main reason then prove by an example and conclude for each paragraph, maybe it's enough.
tcl1120 9 / 27  
There are some good points in both sides, I would recommend to link those point together in order to enhance the cohesion of paragraphs.

For an example over-dependence on technology would deteriorate the social and ethical education, while the existence of library could create such values of development.

Overall the structure and arrangement are very good.

Home / Writing Feedback / Public libraries are no longer important / replaced by gadgets