IELTS Writing task 2: Living alone vs with other people

Tung2709 1 / -  

In some countries, many people are choosing to live alone nowadays than in the past.

Do you think it is a positive or negative development?

In this personalized era, there are more and more people prefer to live alone, especially in metropolises of some developed countries. In my view, I consider that this growing trend could have both positive and negative impacts.

On the one hand, living alone can bring several benefits to both individual's life and the whole economy's development. Firstly, in order to live alone, people may become more independent and self-reliant than those who live with family members. For instance, an individual who lives alone must balance their income and expenses, do all the household chores, which could effectively improve their ability of self-management and financial management. Secondly, by choosing not to marry, single people would have chances to freely design their own life. They can create their own rules, have a free environment to do whatever they want, and make their decisions without worrying about other people's opinions. In this way, single people can pursue their careers easily and enhance their working skills easily.

On the other hand, there are some disadvantages of the rise in one-person households. First and foremost, depression and anxiety are the results of loneliness. Living alone in an apartment and a flat prevent an individual from face-to-face interacting with everyone including their family member. Those lonely people would suffer from feelings of loneliness, isolation, and worry. To cite an example, the divorced who are likely to be the people who live alone, are more at risk of depression, which is becoming an increasingly severe problem in society. Moreover, residing alone would increase the total spending of an entire family. Some expenses such as electricity expenses, water expenses, and wifi expenses.

In conclusion, depending on how an individual lives, one-person life would affect them in different ways, both beneficial and detrimental ways.
This is a single opinion essay. The writer is given the option to discuss one of two points of view. Why is it a single opinion essay? There is no instruction to discuss both points of view. In the absence of such an instruction, a response based on a single opinion is required. The essay does not offer a clear opinion based on TA requirements and will therefore, not gain a passing TA score. This will limit the opportunity of the writer to achieve a passing score as the TA forms a large scoring basis for this essay. Make a mistake in this section and the essay will struggle to get a mere passing consideration.
Joycelai 2 / 4  
Besides the view of the first comment, I personally appreciate the writing skills of the writer. The ideas are clear in the second and the third paragraph, and the essay structure is well-managed.

The only flaw is the same as aforementioned, it would be better to give your own opinion, especially one opinion, even if that's not what you actually think, because the aim is to score higher.

Hope this helps you, wish you the best!

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS Writing task 2: Living alone vs with other people