Old-fashioned values, such as honour, kindness and trust, no longer seem important today

roscoe1998 1 / -  

A person's worth nowadays seems to be judged according to social status and material possessions.

Old-fashioned values, such as honour, kindness and trust, no longer seem important.
To what extent do you agree or disagree with this opinion?
Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own knowledge or experience

It is pity to see a person' s worth nowadays to be judged according to social status and material possessions. The values like honor and kindness seems to become obsolete. I disagree the above opinion based on the following two points.

A person's worth should be determined by how much effort someone has contributed to society within his or her capabilities. For instance, Ming Gor, who is a restaurant owner in Sham Shui Po, has been delivering free box meals to grassroots and poor elderly for almost 10 years. Despite he is not rich or privileged, he does gain lots of respects from others regardless of their political backgrounds because he is helping needy people in the society with his limited capability. People expect someone with greater powers should benefit the society with larger extent. Therefore, if someone is doing favor of the society in exceeding his powers or capability, they will be praised for their sacrifice and effort.

Moreover, a person's worth depends on if he or she has caused any harms to surroundings regardless of their social status and possessions. The harms are not only referring to tangible or physical damages instead it could be something psychological and spiritual in nature. Some politicians received high wages and possessed more privileges than others, yet they did not gain the respect and trusty from others instead discontent and hatred filling the space. Their behavior may even jeopardize the core values and harmony of the city and eventually turn it into more divided and desperate. As a result, people do not consider those people are worthy for the society and hope them disappear themselves in the long way.

In conclusion, the old-fashioned values seem to contribute more to the society and do no harms to others meanwhile higher social status and material possessions cannot guarantee that it will make noisier impacts than the other ways do. Therefore, these values are not obsolete instead they are fundamental for a human being to behave.
Do not offer a personal opinion in the first paragraph (it is a pity...) because the personal opinion should not cloud the original prompt interpretation. That opinion could instead, be merged with the reasoning paragraph or concluding summary. When you offer the disagreement, include the reasons why in tums of discussion outline ( I disagree because the values of kindness, honor, and trust one still visibly valued these days).

The discussion paragraphs have valid points and proper supporting examples. The student may want to build his vocabulary and grammar in terms of noun presentations Harm, for example can be a countable or uncountable noun. Hence the reference word remains the same for both singular and plural forms. It does not form plurals being a plural nominative and singular genitive. These days" harms" mostly refers to the act of harming someone.

The concluding paragraph will benefit from pauses in the presentation. The cuts in thought presentation are too far apart. The presentation needs to see more comma and period usage.

Home / Writing Feedback / Old-fashioned values, such as honour, kindness and trust, no longer seem important today