WRITING IELTS TASK 2: oral communication is more effective than written word

Camtu25 2 / 3  
Spoken communication is more powerful than written communication.

To what extent do you agree or disagree?

There is an opinion that oral communication is more effective than written word. Personally, I wholeheartedly disagree with this statement and this essay will give some points below.

One might argue that verbal language is a more powerful means of communication than written language. This is based on the assumption that spoken language is informal and usually involves body language and facial expressions. Therefore, it can be better understood by people of all ages than written language with often long sentences in complex tenses. Evidence can be seen in the way many young children who have not learnt to read and write yet can easily communicate with their parents, for example, by talking or crying.

Despite the benefits outlined above, I believe that written communication plays a more integral roles than oral interaction. Since there are no records, the latter's ability to convey information effectively, though present, is restrained to the time and place that the process of communication takes place. Meanwhile, written language promotes communication across space and time as long as the medium (maybe books, articles, magazines, to name a few) exists. In this sense, written language can serve as solid evidence for future reference in case any confusions or conflicts occur. Besides, human can widen their knowledge through studying historical documents archived in the form of written texts that could otherwise evaporate by word of mouth.

In conclusion, it is my view that written interaction is of more significance than verbal language for reasons associated with permanence.

I will be very grateful to receive your feedbacks.
Your prompt restatement is accurate as it refers to an opinion stated by someone else as a fact, rather than you stating that it is a fact. Good job. Your opinion presentation is very good and uses the correct measured response. The problem with the presentation? It lacks the thesis statement. What is the short form of the basis of your opinion? Consider presenting it in summary form and indicating the long form explanation after it. That increases the preliminary score.

When discussing this essay, it is important that the writer uses the correct comparison discussion format. That is to say, the writer should show evidence of the appropriateness or correctness of the public opinion first, then he should present his counter discussion as to why that is incorrect. By doing so, you prove the strength of your opinion based on an incorrect belief system. Done twice, in separate paragraphs, with different reasons, you will provide a highly concrete supporting presentation for your opinion and properly meet the C+C scoring criteria. While this essay format will still receive a score and, it may be a passing one, a higher and more than average score may be provided using the format I presented above.

As for the reverse paraphrase section, the concluding summary does not quite meet the necessary requirement of 40 words covering at least 2 sentences. So that section may not receive a helpful score during an actual exam.

Good job though. You proved that you understood the writing topic and instruction. You just need to use a better response format next time. Not bad for a beginner.

Home / Writing Feedback / WRITING IELTS TASK 2: oral communication is more effective than written word