IELTS Writing task 2: More and more people are becoming seriously overweight.

caohuyen93 4 / 8 1  
More and more people are becoming seriously overweight. Some people suggest that the solution to this problem is to increase the price of fattening foods. To what extent do you agree or disagree?

It is often believed that increasing fast food prices is the best solution when obesity is getting more and more serious. I strongly think that only this method cannot make a big difference, and there are other more effective measures that the government can take to tackle this issue.

Having to pay more expensive prices for junk food might not strong enough to stop people from consuming it. Consumers might complain or even temporarily give up on burgers and french fries, however, this may not last for long since people often cannot resist their carving. My sister, for example, often complains how overpriced bubble tea is. That said, she is willing to pay 100,000 VND just to satisfy her thirst for this beverage. Therefore, this policy alone might not be as effective as expected in the long run.

There are several potential solutions that the country authorities can take into consideration. Firstly, raising public's awareness of processed food's detrimental impacts on the body. Knowing that they have a high chance of getting serious health problems such as heart diseases, and diabetes, people might be discouraged to over-eat these kinds of food. Additionally, reducing the standards of working and studying hours might also be helpful. If students and working adults had to commit less time at workplaces or schools, they would have more time to prepare homecooked meals. As a result, the consumption of junk food might eventually drop and residents would become healthier over time.

In conclusion, I firmly believe that exorbitant prices cannot stop consumers from eating fast food, however, proper education and new working hour policies can have an impact on people's lifestyles and diets. (277)
I strongly think

You cannot use words of uncertainty in your writer's opinion. If you are not convinced of your point of view, then do not expect the examiner to believe you either. The job of the writer is to convince the reader that his opinion is correct. When you are doubting your own opinion, you will have failed to meet the clear writer's opinion requirement of the TA section.

Having to pay more expensive prices for junk food might not strong enough to

You are missing the verb "Be" in relation to connecting the subject to the action being stated. You should have caught this error if you have proofread your essay before submitting it for a grade. Your GRA score will receive deductions because of this error. You need to remember that it is not enough to meet the word count. It is important that you meet the word count in a positive scoring manner.
sophiemoore62 4 / 10 1  
I think the phrase 'strongly think' means that caohuyen93 is giving a certain opinion. It's like using "I strongly agree that..." May I ask why are you saying that it is 'words of uncertainty'?
@sophiemoore62
When one is thinking, one is considering all options and uncertain of the correct response. That is why one cannot say "I strongly think". You can "think hard" meaning deep analysis, or you can "Heavily consider" a certain thought, but you cannot "strongly think" as that implies that the writer does not have any solid opinion yet. You have to remember that the Task Accuracy score considers a clear writer's opinion in the preliminary scoring stage. When there are words of uncertainty used, the score for the writer's opinion goes down due to the lack of decisiveness of the writer. He fails to deliver a strong and measured opinion statement at that point.

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS Writing task 2: More and more people are becoming seriously overweight.