Some people think that schools should teach/enroll students according to their academic abilities

vuongthaolinh 1 / -  

grouping students according to their performance

People have differing views concerning the question of whether schools should group students according to their academic abilities or have students with different abilities study together. While some maintain that putting school students with similar abilities in groups and teaching them together is effective, I believe that a balanced approach between streaming and mixed-ability models can be the most effective.

There are numerous reasons why proponents of ability-based grouping argue, one of which is allowing teachers to tailor their instruction to the needs of each group. By grouping students of similar abilities together, teachers can provide more targeted and challenging instruction to high-achieving students while also providing additional support and remediation to struggling students. This would therefore help maximize learning outcomes as students receive instruction that is appropriate for their current academic level. Another justification is that grouping by ability can create a sense of healthy competition among students, motivating them to strive for higher achievements. More specifically, in a tracking study, the students were equally competent; they did not feel any lack of confidence, which in turn made them feel comfortable expressing themselves and improving.

Notwithstanding some critics' objections, some people support the view that mixed-ability classrooms emphasize the importance of diversity and inclusion. They argue that by having students with different abilities study together, it fosters a cooperative and supportive learning environment. In such classrooms, high-achieving students can serve as role models for their peers, while struggling students can benefit from peer tutoring and collaboration. This approach promotes empathy, social skills, and a sense of community among students. It should also be noted that mixed-ability classrooms prepare students for the real world, where they will inevitably encounter people with different abilities and backgrounds. Multiple-level classrooms are the real-life environments that each student faces after going out into the real world.

In sum, while there are sensible reasons to believe that schools should group students into classes depending on their levels of attainment, my view is that a balanced approach can be the most effective. A balanced approach that combines elements of both can provide the best learning outcomes. Should the school adjust instruction to individual needs within a diverse classroom setting, students can benefit from the advantages of both approaches.
Do not lose sight of the writing time allowance for the task. Your presentation is hyperfocused on vocabulary, which should not be the case. You have to balance your discussion within all the grading rubics by presenting quick but understandable information in the 2 reasoning paragraphs. Do not overexplain. That will not earn you extra points and will negatively affect the clarity of your explanation, lowering your cohesiveness and coherence score in the process. In this case, one justification for each teaching model is more than sufficient. When the examiner reads your explanations, he will notice that the discussions per paragraph do not use transition sentences that connect the previous discussion to the next one in the same sentence. There is a lack of discussion connection which does not increase your transition word usage score.

Home / Writing Feedback / Some people think that schools should teach/enroll students according to their academic abilities