IELTS task 2:should physical education be optional in school or not?

Andy_Vo 2 / 5  
Most school offer some type of physical education program to their students. Why it is important? Should physical education classes be required or optional?

Physical education programs are offered widely in school systems. Although, there have been a number of given opinion supposed that physical education should be optional. Exercises are undeniably essential, especially at growing ages, thanks to its benefits for both mental and physical health of a student.

A great deal of conducted researches has indicated the major variety of benefits of exercises for one's physical health. Scientists claimed that a regularly active lifestyle would protect us from certain diseases such as diabetes, heart diseases, and the largest concern of western countries: obesity. Additional, physical activities can act as an aid to prevent student from excessive time spent on their electronic devices.

Moreover, exercises are proved to help releasing endorphin, which is a hormone that improves one's mood by reducing stress and anxiety. Therefore, physical education will stimulate a happy and healthy lifestyle of a student. In addition, research showed that student who involved in physical activities consistently tend to sleep well at night and, as a result, perform better in school.

Unfortunately, there are several inevitable circumstances in which a student has a difficult physical condition, e.g. handicapped or asthmatic, that prevent them from engaging such physical activities. In that case, school should give them some sort of special permission like allowing them to absent in physical education periods. This solution might be a better option comparing to make the subject optional, which would encourage lazy students not to participate.

In conclusion, physical education should not be optional since it is physically and mentally beneficial for a student. Nevertheless, in some unavoidable special cases, students can be permitted to abstain from exhausting activities.
OP Andy_Vo 2 / 5  
Thanks for your reply dumi
because i have been studying Barron's IELTS preparation book, which advised me to write a 3 point of thesis to support my opinion.
Therefore i stated in the essay. My opinion is PE classes should not be optional
The first point : it is good for students' physical health
the second point is it's good for mental health which is feeling good
the third point is that if a student is not capable of doing exercise, he can be allowed not to. But, the programs has to be compulsive

In the end i stated 2 of my points in the first sentence, and the third one in the second sentence.

Also, i have read in somewhere that in Academic writing, you should not put pronouns such as i, you, which emphases your own opinion too much just like that essay that you included in your reply

I'm really confusing right now so if you can address my question, i'd be appreciate

thanks
Pahan 1 / 1,906 553  

... Well, can you please give us the references where you find this information. It is worth for us to have a look at that because we (dumi and many other contributors in this forum) suggest this approach. Also, I have my own personal experience with IELTS and I secured an overall band score of 8.5 for writing by following this approach. May be you've got a point there, but it is not so severe as I secured a good band score. It is great if you share that information source with us.

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS task 2:should physical education be optional in school or not?