Task 2 - Plastic waste, whose responsibility?

winterscoming 1 / -  
Hello, I'm aiming for band 7.5 or above.
The task:
In many countries, plastic usage is one of the main contributors to environmental pollution. Some believe that consumers should be responsible for reducing this pollution by avoiding the use of plastic products. Others argue that it is the responsibility of businesses and governments to address this issue.

Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
The essay:
The rise of capitalism has led to an unprecedented amount of plastic products and subsequently, plastic waste. As marine life ingests microplastic and once-pristine landscapes become littered with plastic waste, a global dialogue has emerged, questioning the responsibility of curbing this escalating crisis. On one side of the debate, there's the belief that consumers should champion the reduction of plastic waste. Conversely, some argue that the onus lies squarely with influential entities: businesses and governments. This essay will delve into both perspectives, discussing the merits and drawbacks of each viewpoint, and will conclude with a personal stance on where this responsibility should reside.

To begin with, one viewpoint asserts that consumers, as the end users, have the onus to champion plastic reduction, symbolizing the vanguard in the movement towards a green and sustainable future for humanity. When the majority of consumers lean towards products made from sustainable materials, manufacturers and distributors have to respond accordingly to their demand, leading to fewer plastic products in the market and less impact on the environment. For example, the green movement of various environmental groups and activists in Hanoi serves as a catalyst, causing several brands like Starbucks and Coffee House to use more environmentally friendly materials like paper and straw. This reflected the power of collective efforts, showing that each individual in our society has a role to play in the fight against pollution. It is also the answer for those claiming that an individual's power is too inferior to initiate change. In essence, consumers' belief action is like powerful while subtle currents, which may spur great change when being exercised collectively.

Another viewpoint argues that influential entities such as governments and companies, with their influential position and vast financial resources, wield the ultimate power in curbing the proliferation of plastic waste. Governments, with their authority, can introduce new environment-centric laws, ensuring a clean environment for their citizens. A clear example of this is the government of India, which regulated new laws imposing fines on companies that failed to adopt green technology and materials in production. As a result, several companies have shifted their production policy, using paper, grass, and straw as main materials. This collaboration between influential entities acts as a rudder, bringing sweeping changes to the market and steering us toward a more sustainable future. While some may have concern that economic growth and profits are often at the heart of governments and companies' policies, it is changing now as the effects of a climate crisis are becoming more impactful. Hence, it remains an unshakable truth that governments and companies are the beacon of hope for a better, greener future.

In conclusion, although consumers have a role in combating plastic pollution, influential entities like governments and businesses are at the forefront. With their dominant power and resources, they can bring sweeping changes in the consumer's industry landscapes. Together, as a united global community, we can chart a path towards a cleaner, more sustainable future, safeguarding our planet for generations to come.
I will not begin to review the content of this essay because there is a more pressing concern when it comes to your presentation. The fact that you wrote 500 words for this essay indicates that you will not be able to complete the writing of this task when it comes to the actual test. That is because you are only allotted 40 minutes for this task, within which you must not only produce an essay, but produce a simple, but relevant response to the given question. You cannot use too much vocabulary in the essay. Keep it simple. Do not over explain nor over analyze. Just provide a simple, everyday discussion that the examiner will easily understand. Think of it as writing a simple personal opinion for your class. That is how you approach this writing.

Home / Writing Feedback / Task 2 - Plastic waste, whose responsibility?