Home / Writing Feedback % width   Posts: 2

IELTS Writing task 2 - Prison sentences

Some people think that the best way to reduce crime is to give longer prison sentences. Others, however, believe that there are better alternative ways to reduce crime. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.

In this period of globalization, crime rates are increasingly higher, which makes people question whether to apply longer prison sentences to those who crimes. While some think that this way is the best answer to tackle the problem of crime rates, I do believe that there are various alternatives for governments to execute.

On the one hand, it is understandable why some individuals think that letting criminals in long-term verdicts can reduce infraction percentages. One of the most commonly cited reasons is it acts as a strong deterrent. To begin with, the fear of long-term incarceration can significantly discourage individuals from engaging in criminal activities. When people know that the consequences of their actions could lead to many years or even whole lives in prison, the psychological impact from that can be powerful enough to make them reconsider. In addition, longer sentences ensure that repeat offenders are kept off the streets for extended periods, reducing the risk of them committing additional crimes. This also sends a strong message to society that criminal behaviors will not be tolerated and that severe consequences await those who break the law. A good example of this is Singapore, a country with strict sentencing laws, which often reports lower crime rates due to the stringent enforcement of penalties and the extended sentences given to those convicted of serious crimes.

On the other hand, I would maintain that there is a variety of solutions to solve criminals' high rates instead of using long-term incarceration mentioned. First and foremost, alternative methods like rehabilitation and education can be more effective and suitable for replacing longer sentences. To explain, addressing the root causes of crime, ranging from poverty, and lack of education to social inequality, can lead to more sustainable reductions in infraction rates. In order to comprehensively apply this to society, governments should invest in rehabilitation programs that focus on helping offenders reintegrate into society by providing them with the skills and education they need to find employment can minimize the likelihood of reoffending. These programs should include vocational training, psychological counseling, and substance abuse treatment, which target the underlying issues that may have led individuals to commit crimes in the first place. Furthermore, community outreach programs that concentrate on preventing crime through education and social support can help at-risk individuals before they turn to criminal activities. In other words, programs that offer vocational training to inmates have been shown to decrease the likelihood of them returning to crime after release. For instance, Norway's prison system emphasizes rehabilitation over punishment, resulting in one of the lowest recidivism rates in the world.

In conclusion, although publishing long-term verdicts with the aim of diminishing crime percentages is advantageous to some extent, it seems to me that it is better to take replacing alternatives, ranging from rehabilitation to education, into account.

Holt  Educational Consultant - / 15189  
During a 40 minute writing task, the maximum number of words that should be written is 300 words. It will be impossible for you to write more than 400 words when you also have to review, revise, edit, and revise, then finalize the content of your essay. Remember, the score is not based on the word count but rather on the quality of the essay based upon the given scoring rubic. The longer your essay, the more deductions you will receive based upon the scoring requirements. These will be based upon the sectional considerations for each writing aspect. I advise you to write a shorter essay next time to prevent an open ended essay. An essay that is not concluded properly in the test will be given an automatic failing mark.

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS Writing task 2 - Prison sentences
Need professional help with your assignments? Fill out one of these forms: