Home / Writing Feedback % width Posts: 2

IELTS QUESTION: Are GMOs as a viable solution to feed the increasing population?

Sakuradesu 3 / 4  
I would like to express my deepest thanks for your feedback in advance!

Essay question: With a growing world population, one of the most pressing issues is feeding a huge population. Some people think that GM (Genetically Modified) foods offer a viable solution to this problem. To what extent do you agree or disagree?

It is believed that GMOs are potential efficacious measures for feeding the ever-growing population. I partially concur with this notion because while acknowledging the potential of foods with genetic modification to tackle the challenge of food shortages, I am deeply concerned about their downsides.

It is indisputable that genetically modified foods can address world hunger by enhancing food security in two path ways. First, thanks to DNA alternation techniques, these foods possess beneficial traits, allowing them to withstand harsh weather and diseases, major interruptions of food supplies. This benefit leads to higher yields and thus relieves food shortages. Secondly, despite being genetically engineered, GM crops are safe for consumption. It is attributed to the fact that they are strictly regulated by FDA, a trustworthy regulatory body, and must pass the standard food safety assessment before being introduced to the market.

Nevertheless, I believe that genetically modified foods are not reliable solutions to the global food crisis for two reasons. The most obvious one is that their competitive advantages do not solve the inequality in food distribution, which is the root cause of this issue. The rationale behind this is that genetically modified foods are primarily accessible in First World instead of Third World countries where the majority of residents are undernourished. The second rationale is that despite being endorsed by FDA as free of health hazards, the long-term impacts of genetically engineered products are still being studied. This implies a situation where the potential health risks of allergic reactions, mutations in DNA, and gene transfer are still uncertain.

In conclusion, although I agree that GMOs, which feature favourable genetic characteristics and reliable endorsement, could be a powerful tool in the fight against global hunger, I doubt their viability as a viable solution to this challenge due to their irrelevance to unequal food access and unforeseen health consequences for human wellbeing.
Holt  Educational Consultant - / 14985 4814  
I am deeply concerned about their downsides.

Complete the statement. What are the 2 downsides you are most concerned about? Create an accurate thesis statement to gain the most points in this paragraph. it has a good start, don't leave it half written.

It is indisputable

Do not make exaggerated claims. Remember that there will always be opposition to your opinion so tone it down. You do not need to be so emotional with your explanations.

The concluding paragraph needs more work. You should bear in mind that the first and last paragraphs have specific formatting expectations that can either increase or decrease your final score. Use at least 2 sentences in the final paragraph. Make sure that you restate the topic, your opinion, and your reasons before concluding the essay. Based on the information requirements, you can easily write 3 sentences and go beyond the 40 word expectation for that section of the essay. You will score better that way.

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS QUESTION: Are GMOs as a viable solution to feed the increasing population?