Home / Writing Feedback   % width NEW!

IELTS WRITING TASK 2 - READING BOOKS AMONG KIDS IS IN DECLINE

wanttobebetter 4 / 6 1  
The number of children that read books for fun has dropped dramatically in recent years.

What are the reasons for this? How can we encourage children to read more?

In this day and age, groups of kids and teenagers who consider novels as a pastime have quickly decreased. In this paper, reasons for this matter and solutions to gradually tackle it will be discussed with some clear explanations and particular examples.

First and foremost, it is the technological advances that give rise to the poor number of youngsters opting for books. To clarify this point, the Internet has developed numerous websites and applications with mesmerizing news and information about politics, finance, economics, to name but a few. They are so eye-catching that they steal people's attention spent in reading. Specifically, statistics shows that there are more than 2 billion accounts on Facebook, while a browse for book-lovers such as Goodreads only attracts a few million visitors. Secondly, various books are heavy tomes that include academic research while reviewers are absorbed in light contents. Thus, such writings do not receive popularity among people.

There are some workable remedies to deal with this problem. In the beginning, parents should force their children to start with simple and comprehensible books such as comics or fairy tales to build up reading habits. Then, it is recommended that kids consider masterpieces to arouse their interest or find their favorite genres. Furthermore, children can also join reading communities to share their opinions and reviews about pieces of writing. The government are suggested to celebrate the underlying values of books to stimulate citizens, especially youngsters to read.

To recapitulate, lately a plethora of kids taking up reading have lost their pleasure in this hobby due to Internet improvements and finding contents tough to read. By ways of aforementioned incentives, this issue will gradually better.

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS WRITING TASK 2 - READING BOOKS AMONG KIDS IS IN DECLINE