Home / Writing Feedback   % width NEW!

[IELTS T. 2] Remote working has its own pros and cons, but the advantages outweigh the disadvantages

Oliver Nguyen 1 / -  
Recently, some office workers have begun to work from home instead of commuting to an office each day, and this idea is growing in popularity.

What, in your opinion, are advantages and disadvantages of working from home?

These days, under the significant breakthrough of new forms of communication, there has been a widespread tendency in clerical workers to determine work-from-home jobs as an effective way to work. In my view, remote working has its own pros and cons, but the advantages outweigh the disadvantages.

On the one hand, there are negative repercussions to this pattern of teleworking, which comes comes from limited working conditions. Firstly, lack of professional working environment and' regular supervision may directly reduce employees' concentration and indirectly influence their work performance. A workplace without the control of disturbing factors such as noise, temperature and boredom is able to make them struggle with continuing to finish unfinished work well and even to stop. Besides, when office workers work in a virtual workspace which bases on modern technology platforms, they might become more passive and weak in interpersonal skills in the real life because of decreasing face-to-face interaction and increased isolation.

Working from home, on the other hand, also brings a large number of great benefits to office workers, both individually and socially. In a personal level, people who choose to work at home may become more flexible and adaptable in an ever-changing labour market. There is no doubt that working via social media and teleconference enable them to enhance their literacy and technical skills which are indispensable for searching for and keeping jobs in today's information era. Taking a wider look, the environment is protected by telecommuting, too. When people do not need to use cars to commute, there might be a large amount of greenhouse gas from engines eliminated by means of lessening the traffic flow of private vehicles, so traffic density and air pollution could be better.

To sum up, the spreading tendency of remote work is both a challenge and a boon for everyone who lives in computer era. Therefore, we need to balance these advantages against the detrimental impacts of working from home to benefit from it.

Home / Writing Feedback / [IELTS T. 2] Remote working has its own pros and cons, but the advantages outweigh the disadvantages