SHOULD SCHOOL CHILDREN BE GIVEN HOMEWORK (OPINION)?

minwy 1 / -  

homework given to kids at schools

The idea of giving assignment to do at home is often debated. Some may feel that children have enough work to do during the day, whereas others feel that the more work set, the better.

On the one hand, it can not be denied that homework is the best way to revise the knowledge learned in class. The time available in class is not enough for teacher to explain everything but the basic concept. With assignment, students are provide with a chance to look again at the material, hence better understanding and more likely to remember. Furthermore, the concept of assignment is based on an ideology that the more schoolwork is done, the better intellectual development. This explains why homework is so popular, almost every educational system in the world have them in their teaching curriculum.

On the other hand, it can be argued that nowadays adults are placing much more pressure and demand on children in compared to the past. The reason behind this is due to the competition to do well at school, to enter university and to find a job later on. It is true that "Practice makes perfect", but it does not always valid in every case. There comes a point, especially for a child, when more knowledge can not be absorbed in a day. When a student goes to school, and attends five to six different classes a day, he or she is overwhelming with a lot of new information already. Giving assignment to do at home, therefore, is pointless and counterproductive. In addition to this, although education is crucial, childhood happens only once in everybody's life. It should be joyfully and memorable, therefore, instead of spending hours doing homework behind four walls, children should be set free to explore the world.

In conclusion, despite the important of homework, children should also have time to hang out with their friends, family. In my opinion, by limiting the number of homework given, the balance between study and life can be maintained.
What do you think about homework? Do you see it as a necessary part of learning? Why did you not present an opinion of your own in the last part of the prompt restatement? The missing opinion actually harmed your writing because the examiner does not know what you think about the subject you were given to discuss. When the opinion and thesis statement is missing, he cannot give you a task accuracy score based on the relevance of your opinion to the given discussion.

As a single opinion essay, the examiner is looking for your ability to explain your personal opinion in a manner that would show how well you understood the topic and your reasoning considerations. The writing format is not proper for the given prompt. It will pull down your Task Accuracy score and in the process, affect your overall final score. The examiner does not want to search for your opinion, he needs that presented beforehand. The rest of the essay should flow from there.

Home / Writing Feedback / SHOULD SCHOOL CHILDREN BE GIVEN HOMEWORK (OPINION)?