Second language learning at primary school. Both positive and negative aspects.

maruko chan 2 / 4 2  
Topic:
Some experts believe that it is better for children to begin learning a foreign language at primary school rather than secondary school. Do the advantages of this outweigh the advantages?

Early familiarisation with foreign language at school

Essay:
Given the critical economic globalization, foreign language education is a hot topic for severe debates in many countries. Some specialists consider primary school the best place to start teaching foreign language; however, some others believe that secondary school is much better. Such methods have been applied in many countries and revealed both negative and positive impacts.

On the one hand, it is undeniable that, in terms of physical development, students at primary school are the most suitable for learning language. As you know, the children from 6 to 8 age are in the 0process to develop organs related to pronounce like tongue; therefore, at this time, they are much easier to adopt different pronunciation than adolescents. Besides, learning foreign language is in relevant to not only vocabulary or grammar but also the mindset of a different culture, so little children, without deep self-consciousness, is the best to absorb a new language.

On the other hand, learning foreign language at primary school brings considerable drawbacks. Firstly, teaching foreign language as a compulsory subject, to a certain extent, could put pressure on children, who should spend more time on outside activities rather than at school. Secondly, most students at primary school tend to not aware of self-study, so without daily language environment, the language education at this group is much less effective than the student at secondary school.

Based on the above advantages and disadvantages, personally, I think foreign language education should focus on students at secondary school rather than primary school.
Maruko, I dare say that you have written an essay worthy of emulation of the other students here. Why is that? Well, your work, though not as fluent in English as it can be, was actually good enough to, in my opinion score a 7 in the grading bracket. The best work from your essay is the fact that you showed an ability to not only understand, but accurately paraphrase the prompt requirements. The line of reasoning that you used showed a good grasp of English grammar and sentence formation abilities. While there were some errors in structure, the errors did not cause confusion for the reader. So there are a lot of plus points for this essay. There was however, one small mistake and that was in the conclusion that you wrote. The essay did not ask you for a personal opinion so you should not have signified any in the end. The format of your closing statement should have kept the general opinion tone that the essay asked you to use because the job of the essay was not to give an opinion but rather, to inform the readers so that they could make their own decision regarding the given topic.
OP maruko chan 2 / 4 2  
Thank you so much for your comments.
Anyway, I will keep trying for other topics. :)

Home / Writing Feedback / Second language learning at primary school. Both positive and negative aspects.