Should we take a gap year before starting university, to travel or gain work experience, or not?

Quynh Quynh 1 / -  
Many students choose to take a gap year before starting university, to travel or gain work experience.

Do you think this is a good idea or a waste of time?

Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own knowledge or experience.

It is true that a number of students seem to spend their leisure time before beginning college to go on a trip or achieve working skills. Although there are several drawbacks, I believe it has more benefits.

On the one hand, taking a gap year has plenty of advantages. Going outside instead of staying at home is a good way to improve not only one person's view but also their social skills. Students can have more knowledge and experiences about the place where they go, such as tradition, culture and local language. In addition, it broadens people's mind, lets them know how society works so that they can gain more skills at work. Travelling also is an opportunity for students who want to release stress after formal exams. In my personal view, most postgraduate people, after overcoming their high school, find a way to enjoy the joy that they could not do by the time they prepare for tests, and most people consider travel a good choice for them.

On the other hand, there are many dangers in having a break. The main issue is that students who do not have enough experience and personal skills may be cheated or at risk. For instance, some people can fool money by stealing their wallet if they do not pay attention.The other problem is that a number of people spend too much time on vacation. They forget to concentrate on their knowledge. so that when students attend university, it takes several times to become acquainted with the studying environment.

In conclusion, whatever people choose to take a gap year or study, it always has benefits and disadvantages. Youth only has one and we can not own it again so that each teenager should deserve it and decide what is the most important.
their leisure time before beginning college

This is an extremely vague reference. It does not clearly restate the gap year for the reader. This infers any time that a student does not want to attend college yet. That is not the same as a gap year. You need to refer to it properly such as "taking a leave from university studies" or "postponing college attendance". The reference you used may lead to a GRA deduction due to confusion.

On the other hand, there are many dangers in having a break

This will cause a C+C deduction for you. The problem lies in how you are not sticking to defending your personal opinion, which is the requirement for this paper. Once you contradict your own opinion, you will find that the examiner will not give any score for that non-supporting paragraph. That is because you violated the writing rules for a single opinion defense essay.
tieuthanh 4 / 11 1  
@Quynh Quynh

Your thesis statement should be more directly, because it seems to be confusing.

You should write "From my standpoint, taking a year off is a positive tendency" or "From my standpoint, this phenomenon is unnecessay and time-consuming" (It is just my recommendation regarding thesis statement's structure, you could use more uncommon and advanced words to make your essay impressive)

Home / Writing Feedback / Should we take a gap year before starting university, to travel or gain work experience, or not?