IELTS Writing Taks 2: Having same opinion as friends

XooMG 1 / -  
Topic:
Some people think it's better to choose friends who always have the same opinions as them. Other people believe it's good to have friends who sometimes disagree with them.

Discuss both these views and give your own opinion.

There is no doubt that it is important to have a healthy friendship, thereby the choice of friends is from a high significance. Although some people believe that it is better to choose friends who have the same opinion on everything like them, I would argue that it is better to have friends who sometimes have a different way of thinking. This essay will look at both arguments and conclude that various opinions would have more positives on friendship.

On the one hand, those who believe that we should always have the same opinion as our companions might argue that thereby we would rarely have arguments with them. The reason for this is that there is no opposite way of thinking, and this would lead to an agreement upon everything. This is beneficial for the duration of the friendship and the possibility of having the same goals and working on them together.

However, I believe there are more advantages of having the opposite opinion sometimes. This could lead to a more dynamic and less boring friendship. If we always agree with our friends, our friendship could become monotonous and uninteresting. Beyond that, you can always learn something from the opposite way of thinking and develop your opinion by hearing different approaches. This is because a variety of angles of view can open new doors of knowledge.

In conclusion, despite the positives that come with the continuous agreement in friendship, it is my firm belief that having sometimes different opinions leads to overall healthier friendships and broaden our horizons.
Catherine_11 1 / 1  
Hi,
I've read you essay and I think your content and the examples are good. However, there are some mistakes I've found out:
+ "On the other hand"
+ " I would argue that it is better to ... -> this is your orient, why do you write '' look at both arguments and conclude that various opinions would have more positives on friendship.

+ I can't understand this sentence" working on them together." -> I think just '' working together"
These are my opinion. Have a good day!
NguyenPhuoc 5 / 8 5  
From my point of view, your body paragraph should have 3 parts in which the first 2 parts are arguments of the proponents and opponents of the idea and the third one is your opinion (state which side you support). The topic asks you to discuss both views which is of the people who support and are against the idea. So you should be on behalf of both of them to give their opinions and then give your own one in the third body paragraph
The essay is missing your personal opinion of each public point of view. While you did present an argument of a personal note in your restatement paragraph, you neglected to fully explain what you think of each public point of view. Remember that the instruction is asking you discuss both points of view and give an opinion.So, you must present the public perception for each, then explain your belief about the public understanding in the same paragraph. That would allow you to fully discuss both points of view based on 2 considerations:

- The public belief
- Your understanding or belief of the given topic

Your personal point of view need not use a stand alone paragraph when, as evident in this writing, you are capable of simply adding a sentence or two that would represent your personal opinion in a discussion integrated manner. that means, you have the ability to discuss both the public perception and your opinion in a related manner. Such a discussion would result in a higher final score for your essay as your C&C score will be boosted by the combined discussion presentation format.

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS Writing Taks 2: Having same opinion as friends