TOEFL Task: Should teachers make their social or political views known to students?

Crystal812 23 / 55 11  
Toefl independent writing task:
Agree or disagree: Teachers should not make their social or political views known to students in the classroom.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Within the last few decades, there has been an unprecedented development of people's perception about education. Recently, a lot of discussions about education are held by people to improve the quality of schools. Among them, there is some doubt on whether teachers should make their personal views known to students in the classroom. To be honest, I disagree with the statement that teacher should not make their social or political views known to their students, owing to their beneficial effects, students' own judgement ability and some professional requirements.

First of all, not only teachers are teaching students' knowledge, but they are also influencing young people's behaviors and beliefs during the class. Most of school teachers are strictly selected by schools, so they will not do harm to students. On the contrary, they affect their students in some aspects in their lives. For example, teachers will instruct kids to be honest and sincere to their friends, which is an important part of social views and brings beneficial effects on kids.

Second, students are old enough to understand social or political views and are able to judge by themselves. Some individuals maintain that young people are easily influenced by their teachers' political views because they are afraid that young people do not have capability of judging. I would like to say that they underestimate children's ability. Students can be accessible to different social or political standpoints, and what's the most important is that they can differentiate between good ones and adverse ones.

Last but not least, sometimes teachers are required to talk about political views in the classroom. For instance, I, who major in Political Science, cannot avoid listening to teachers' discussing political theories. And it is difficult for my teachers not to mention political views during the class, since it is what we are supposed to learn and it occupies a tremendous amount of curriculum. Without talking about political views, I have nothing to learn from my teachers.

To summarize, I object the opinion that teachers should not make their political or social views learned by students. Because the majority parts of views bring benefits to students and young people are mature enough to distinguish between good and bad views, not to mention some specific areas requiring students to have a good command of political standpoints.
Linda91 30 / 40 3  
a lot of discussions about education are IS held by people to improve the quality of schools. ...

... or political views known to their students, owing due to their beneficial effects ...

.....but they are also influenceing young people's behaviors and ...

Home / Writing Feedback / TOEFL Task: Should teachers make their social or political views known to students?