Technologies have developed very fast in the past 100 years. Advantages or disadvantages?

nxhung24 1 / -  

merits and demerits of technological progress

Technologies have evolved at a lightning speed over the past ten decades. While some people hold the view that technological development poses several drawbacks to humans, I contend that it also brings numerous benefits.

On the one hand, some disadvantages of technology can be taken into account. Firstly, it makes the world become more contaminated. In some megacities such as Ha Noi or Ho Chi Minh, for example, the large use of cars and motorbikes often produces air pollutants including carbon dioxide. This may lead to environmental degradation and pose a threat to many creatures especially humans. Secondly, advances in technology mean that many jobs like hunting, fishing, and agriculture have fallen by the wayside. These jobs now are more prone to be replaced by machines and robots, resulting in an increasing unemployment rate, as a result, more and more people fail to keep up with the high rising costs.

On the other hand, one of the most obvious advantages of high technology is that there is no barrier in distance. It is true that the invention of trains and planes makes it possible to travel a long distance in a short time. For instance, 100 years ago, it would take a few days or even a week if people wanted to travel from the North to the South of Viet Nam. However, nowadays, it takes only two hours by plane. In addition, appliances such as digital cameras, video players, and computers enrich people's leisure time. To illustrate, people now have easy access to the Internet and therefore they can watch some trending videos on Youtube with only a few clicks of the mouse. This brings them a sense of satisfaction when it comes to activities in their spare time.

In conclusion, although technological progress may have some demerits to citizens, I believe that it also plays a crucial role in their life.
The writer should not find reasons to agree with an opinion that he disagreed within the response sentence of the paraphrase + opinion paragraph. The reasoning paragraphs, both of them must focus only on presenting reasons that prove the writers opinion to be the correct one. Being a single opinion presentation based on the idea " is it an advantage or disadvantage ? ", the writer has been tasked to provide evidence of the validity of a particular point of view. The essay shall be scored on the paragraph that offers a valid discussion based on the stated opinion of the writer. Sadly, that short and quick paragraph may not be enough to gain a passing score due to scoring evors in that single paragraph.

Home / Writing Feedback / Technologies have developed very fast in the past 100 years. Advantages or disadvantages?