Should travellers obey local customs and behaviors when they visit other countries or not?

roswita116 16 / 37 17  

foreign visitors and the local customs

Some people believe that visitors to other countries should follow local customs and behaviour. Others disagree and think that the host country should welcome cultural differences. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.

Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own knowledge or experience.

The issue of whether travellers should obey local customs and behaviors when they visit to other countries or not is certainly a controversial topic. Despite some people utterly disagree that and claim the host country should be open-minded and accept culture differences. However, I personally believe that visitors should follow local policy as and respect their culture. The following statements will illustrate my point of views.

First of all, some people said that if one country would like to embrace different concepts of other nationalities, people will become more flexible and diversity, which can be easily get along with different kinds of people. Nevertheless, in my humble opinion, it means lose of their own culture's features. Take a real example, New York is an international city and millions of different countries' people live there, yet we even do not know how to describe New Yorker's behaviors or their customs. Their own customs are getting vanish due to the acceptance of culture difference. Based on this reason, it is quite inappropriate to accept all countries' culture difference.

Second, following and respecting local policy would be a proper way out. Not only preserve the original of local people's behaviors,but also they share the different values to the visitors. In the meanwhile, visitors should respect that some people in the world who are not having similar concepts like them and it would be perfect if they can balance their culture differences. For instance, like Australia, they embrace people from around the world to immigrate to their country while they still keep their original culture concept and their culture and local customs are not influenced by outsiders at all.

In summary, I still believe that respect local customs is necessary. No matter others dispute and think that host country should be open-minded, I strongly consider protecting local culture is overriding.

Question : I don't know if I should stand firmly at one side or not in summary..( I mean after I discuss both point of views, should I state which position I prefer or i think it is better than the other one in summary?)
ng864 4 / 6 3  
@roswita116
people utterly disagree with that
I would add a "with" here.

local policy as and ...
I don't see any need for the "as" here.

... more flexible and diversity
"diverse" would be more appropriate in this sentence.

In the meanwhile
Consider removing the "in the", or changing the phrase altogether.

... that respecting local customs is necessary. No matter others dispute and think that host countries should ..., I strongly consider protecting local culture is overriding.

For the part in blue, you should rephrase as it doesn't make sense. For the last part, I think you should use a better word than "consider" in this case. "protecting local culture is overriding" doesn't make sense to me, so you should rephrase that.

I don't know if I should stand firmly at one side or not in summary..( I mean after I discuss both point of views, should I state which position I prefer or i think it is better than the other one in summary?)

The prompt asks for you to give your own opinion, so you should stand firmly on one side. I'm not sure what you mean by "state which position I prefer or I think it is better", as the position you prefer should be the "better" option in your opinion.

Hope this helps.

Home / Writing Feedback / Should travellers obey local customs and behaviors when they visit other countries or not?