Is United States prepared for the upcoming COVID-19 Vaccine demand?

veronical1116 1 / -  
The question if United States is prepared for the Covid-19 vaccine demand resonate in most of our minds, our country is in the middle of a reality no body expected to escalate and get to the extent that currently is. As a country with so many connections, always investing, researching, looking to be ahead in so many areas should have been prepared for something like this, or at least being able to manage this pandemic in a more efficient way. The response of the administration at the time has shown so many flaws and the current outcome displays the lack of preparedness, and transparency.

We as a nation are impatiently waiting to get some kind or normalcy, is exceedingly difficult to picture what normal would look like for us in the future

CBS news reported that "Many U.S. workers support employers making Covid-19 vaccine mandatory, survey shows."
This referring at a survey conducted by LinkedIn's shows that 46 % of companies think employees getting the vaccine should be mandatory, 40% says that shouldn't be mandatory, and 14 % are unsure about the topic.

U.S. Companies are trying to find a way to incentive employees to take the vaccine, and even that legally they could make it mandatory, they are preferring to approach it in a better way by providing incentives to make it more appealing for employees to take the vaccine and still make it feel like is overall the employee decision.

Employees getting the vaccine is overall positive for both, since companies also need to get a soonest possible to "business as usual", and this is not going to happen until people is vaccinated and the pandemic under control.

A recent announcement of that previous administration didn't truly had a full strategic plan to manage Covid-19, as well as not having the reserve of vaccines as they claimed where available, made our population extremely nervous, and lose trust in the power and control over the outbreak, and this information that has now being brought to light explains how slow everything is moving and why at this time we still are struggling to manage the vaccine distribution, comparing to huge demand that exist.

New York CNBC news talked about this:
"New York says COVID-19 vaccine appointments are booked 14 weeks out as expanded eligibility spurs demand."
This is referring at the problem we keep seeing that we have more demand of vaccines than the amount available, The New York Health Department had to delete the following statemen on a vaccine information site "Alert! Over 7 Million New Yorkers are now eligible for the COVID-19 Vaccine, but the state only receives 300,000 doses per week from Federal Government." The alert was posted Wednesday and deleted Thursday, and informed New Yorkers that appointments had already been booked for the next 14 weeks. The problem can grow bigger if the eligibility is expanded drastically due to supply, logistic and public communication efforts.

The Frustration and anxiety, the State of New York like most states had prioritized healthcare workers and expanded the eligibility to include those people 75 and older and some public workers, such as teachers and police officers, but this would create outsize demand for the vaccines. The U.S. Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar added that if the government is unable to meet the demand, could cause people to lose "belief in the competence of government."

The state has received 1.7 million doses of the vaccines from federal government, about 300,000 doses (Sturdivant)a week, but has been able to administer just 632,473, according to CDC date collected from the states. Even if the state was able to administer every shot in real time, it will take two to three years to vaccinate New York's 20 million residents at the current pace.

At this point we can observe we have a colossal demand of vaccines versus the amount we have available and are able to handle as a country; to summate to the already existing issue, the need for 2 doses of the vaccine per individual puts even more a strain on the states to be able to provide enough doses for their habitants. On a positive note the new administration has taken a more serious approach, the new plan is being develop starting with president Biden announcing that his administration has finalized an order for 200 million more doses to be delivered by July 2021, adding to the 400 million doses that the Trump administration had already ordered from Per and Moderna by that date, taking under consideration that is a two shot regimen, so the total 600 million doses will vaccinate 300 million people which is most of the U.S. population

As well the Atlanta mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms proposed the new administration for more control of vaccine rollout, she explained that even with the currently 1- A plus eligibility category, which means health workers, first responders, nursing home residents and people 65 and older are the only state approved providers should be vaccinating, and using the State of Atlanta as example, the "Atlanta public school alone has 10000 teachers and staff who need to be vaccinated", Bottoms said "we're already vaccinating our public safety personnel, but we also have sanitation workers and other workers who need to be vaccinated. Morehouse school of medicine alone has a waiting list of over six thousand people"

Her suggestion is to consider a more granular data requirements for each state, taking a closer look at exactly who is getting vaccinated to ensure equitable distribution, the local and state leaders had a meeting at the white house, they expressed that is encouraging to see how much has already been contemplated about Covid-19 protocols, along with the administration plans for increased vaccine production and distribution by July.

However there is a current debate and response from the public about the vaccine, people who believe the vaccine is more harmful then helpful, as well of citizens scared the vaccine might not have been properly designed since the time of development has been extremely short and seems rushed this due to the high expectation of production and the release product, they fear that wasn't properly tested, or tested enough to make it safe in combination to the possible reaction to the secondary effects from the vaccine. This and many other concerns have the rest of our country in defense about getting the vaccine.

We are divided as a country on what is the best solution to end this pandemic, nonetheless the new administration is implementing and working in a solution to alleviate all the different sectors impacted by Covid-19

The number of vaccines provided to each location and the amount of qualified location where to get the vaccines is not enough in comparison of the people ready to receive them, and this is also taking under consideration the limited group who is eligible at this time is only a small portion of the US population, while the rest of the population who is not eligible still at risk, mean while we will continue following the preventive measures to avoid an infection, while our turn arrives.

In conclusion:
We still have a lot of work to do as a nation to be able to get vaccines to our habitants, the plans being actioned, and the administration being open to listen from our local and states leaders to better understand the needs from each state and make the distribution more efficient, as well as finding ways to increase production and acquire more doses is a refreshing approach.

At the end is important to learn from our mistakes, take what we did wrong with humbleness. Find effective solutions, and move forwards, is also important to have plans of actions in place to prevent or have a prompt response to any future global health problem, this way we can avoid the outcome we are currently in.

1.My essay could be stronger on better relating the central point.
2.Could have better transitions between paragraphs.
3.Better logic to make it more interesting and appealing, so people will want to read it.

(Tin)
(Carr)
(Feuer)
(Novak)
(Sturdivant)
This referring at a survey conducted by LinkedIn's ...

-Linked in is not considered a proper academic, nor journalistic reference for any opinion or research paper. You need to use a more acceptable reference coming from verifiable and uneasily manipulated sources. LinkedIn is too open source for it to be an acceptable citation in your paper.

A recent announcement

- Indicate the date, time, location, and person who gave out the information. Otherwise the reference becomes questionable and unverified. It makes the paper contain questionable information rather than factual representations of researched data.

The paper seems to be filled with more information from other sources and lacking in your analysis of the information. The presentation is only a little better than being a cut and paste of information compiled from various sources. In the sections where you do pose an explanation or opinion, it feels rushed, under developed, little analyzed, and mostly, just there to fill in the word requirement for the report. I know you can do a better job than this.

Home / Writing Feedback / Is United States prepared for the upcoming COVID-19 Vaccine demand?