IELTS WRITING TASK 2 - WORK AND STUDY FROM HOME

ngducng 1 / -  
PROMPT: Around the world, many adults are working from home, and more children are beginning to study from home because technology has become cheaper and more accessible.

Do you think this is a positive or negative development?

_________
WWorking from home has become a trend for both workers and students thanks to the accessibility of technology. Although there are inherent problems with this, I reckon this is a fundamentally positive development by its flexibility and controllability.

Proponents of distant working may cite controllability as their primary argument. Executives may find struggle in checking whether their employees have been engrossed in their tasks or not, ensuring the possible outcome of the task. Moreover, students can be easily distracted with their surrounding environment, lessening the concentrating ability, which leads to lower amount of knowledge absorbed. This eventually reduces their cognitive ability, degrading the quality of the future workforce.

However, I challenge this notion by the flexibility of online working and studying. In major enterprises, outcome, calculated by how a worker contributes to them, is of more importance; hence, workplace is not their priority anymore, but the productivity. This can be exemplified by the fact that an increasing number of the young generation have been visiting coffee shops to work and study because these places serve romantic scenes, relaxing music and beverage, contrasting with noisy offices and classes, where colleagues often have conversation in groups. At the same time, with the advent of technology, teachers can manage their pupils by online exams, testing how much of the lesson they have acquired. Another justification is that students who have financial difficulties may find it easier to be admitted to major universities around the world. Thanks to online classes, they do not necessasrily have to travel overseas to attend lectures from eminent professionals anymore, which is more secured when saving a sum of money for accommodation, flight fees and the chance of getting culture shock.

In conclusion, it is my conviction that the tendency towards online learning is largely positive in light of the flexibility of work and the access to higher learning materials.

_______
This is my writing essay. Thank you for your reading and hope hearing feedbacks from you!
The paraphrasing for the original topic is acceptable. The writer understood the writing task as can be seen from his properly developed opinion and thesis statement. However, that is not to say that the discussion followed the correct development format. It focused on only one of the 2 given discussion considerations when both were expected to be defended, in terms of his previously stated opinion. He must not veer away from his opinion statement, even if he references a discussion by other people since this is a single opinion essay. Both opinions, covering one paragraph for students, one for workers, must be seen as only supporting the writer's given opinion. Any paragraphs that do not provide a supporting stance will not be considered for scoring and will be deducted from the word count. The essay will not receive a passing score, regardless of the overwritten word count in the presentation.

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS WRITING TASK 2 - WORK AND STUDY FROM HOME