Home / Writing Feedback   % width   Posts: 2

IELTS WRITING TASK 2 : Many young people today change their jobs or careers every few years.

lucyle0802 1 / -  
IELTS WRITING TASK 2: Many young people today change their jobs or careers every few years. Do you think this has more advantages than disadvantages?

So prevalent has the frequent job change among young people become that many people raise doubts about its effects. While some associate this phenomenon with negative connotations, I firmly believe that its advantages take precedence over its disadvantages in terms of skill development and career growth.

On the one hand, changing jobs constantly comes with its share of problems. Many critics argue that it leads to a lack of life security. Instead of the fixed job stabilisation, career move causes disruptions of individuals' finances, social networks, sense of belonging, and even doubts about their abilities. We need not look further than companies in Japan which value long-term commitment. Therefore, this phenomenon in Japanese setting may be perceived as a lack of dedication. Additionally, employees are prone to lose long-term benefits the job offers such as pensions or promotions if changing job frequently. This is evident in German firms which offer significant long-term employee benefits.

On the other hand, the benefits of this career mobility far outweigh these concerns. Hardly anyone can deny a wider range of skills the young will acquire if working in different and diverse domains. In fact, dynamic sectors such as technology, which have rapid innovation and evolving demands, require individuals to constantly adapt and learn new skills. Nowhere is this clearer than in Silicon Valley where their young professionals in tech hubs often switch roles to learn new technologies. Furthermore, trying out different paths helps the young to identify their passion and gain better understandings about their strengths and weaknesses. This not only broadens their career prospect but also enhances their job satisfaction, which is important for long-term career success.

In brief, it is reasonable to expect the benefits of career mobility to be both beneficial and detrimental. However, from my perspective, I believe the challenges associated with this phenomenon, while significant, cannot compare to its long-term benefits including skill development and career potentials.

Holt  Educational Consultant - / 15169 4859  
Your English competency level is that of a beginner and yet, you are trying to use an advanced sentence format and word reference in your presentation. This desire to write at a level higher than your actual ability will be the main reason why you will receive a failing score in the following areas:

1. Lexical Resource
2. Cohesiveness and Coherence
3. Grammar Range and Accuracy

I can tell that you understood the original topic, but your ability to restate it is limited by your actual English skills. You can avoid failing in these sections if you just keep your sentences simple. Do not use advanced vocabulary just yet. You will get a better score all around with simple English presentations.

The discussion format will be given a score even though the presentation is not really as expected in terms of the response format. For this type of essay, you need to anchor your 2 reasoning paragraphs on the disadvantages that are actually advantages. You have to disprove the negative by making it a positive in your discussion.

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS WRITING TASK 2 : Many young people today change their jobs or careers every few years.
Need help with your assignments? Fill out one of these forms: